NewPort News - History

NewPort News - History


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.



NewPort News


Company-Histories.com

Address:
4101 Washington Avenue
Newport News, Virginia 23607
U.S.A.

Telephone: (757) 380-2000
Toll Free: 800-753-8790
Fax: (757) 380-4713
http://www.nns.com

Statistics:

Public Company
Incorporated: 1886 as Chesapeake Dry Dock & Construction Co.
Employees: 17,300
Sales: $1.86 billion (1999)
Stock Exchanges: New York
Ticker Symbol: NNS
NAIC: 336611 Ship Building and Repairing

Company Perspectives:

Newport News Shipbuilding is one of the top ten defense companies and the premier shipbuilder in the United States. We design, build and maintain the most sophisticated ships in the world--nuclear powered aircraft carriers and submarines. Our goals for the future are simple: To strengthen and grow our leadership position in our core defense businesses, to effectively manage technology insertion and systems integration, to become the life cycle manager for our products and to deliver superior value and performance to our shareholders and customers.

Key Dates:

1886: Newport News is founded by Collis P. Huntington.
1893: Company is awarded its first U.S. Navy contract.
1951: New president, William Blewett, Jr., steers company into nuclear power.
1968: Tenneco Inc. acquires Newport News.
1982: Newport News is awarded $3.1 billion U.S. Navy contract.
1994: Company reenters commercial market.
1996: Spinoff from Tenneco is completed.
1999: Further pursuit of commercial work is abandoned.

Newport News Shipbuilding Inc. is the largest non-government-owned shipyard in the United Sates and the only one in the United States capable of building and servicing a full range of nuclear-powered and conventional ships for both defense and commercial service. The largest employer in Virginia, the company has expanded nationwide, building, over its more than 100-year history, more than 700 vessels, including many that have taken part in the great historical events of 20th-century American history, from the days of President Theodore Roosevelt's Great White Fleet to the battles of World War II and on into the nuclear age.

Newport News Shipbuilding was founded in 1886 at one of the most favorable shipping locations in the United States. The yard owes its existence to Collis P. Huntington, one of the business partners who founded the Central Pacific Railroad and drove it eastward through the Sierras to form the nation's first transcontinental rail line. After his successes in California, Huntington returned east and was instrumental in building the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad from Richmond to the town named for him in West Virginia. Then he turned his sights to develop Newport News as the carrier's eastern terminus. He was president of the Old Dominion Land Co. which laid out lots to start the development of the town. Coal and grain facilities were built and Huntington then sought to found a drydock there.

Commenting on the yard's location, Huntington later noted that 'It was my original intention to start a shipyard plant in the best location in the world, and I succeeded in my purpose. It is right at the gateway of the sea. There is never any ice in the winter, and it is never so cold but you can hammer metal out of doors.'

The drydock was opened April 29, 1889, and the maritime press hailed it as the 'wonder of the age.' The first shipbuilding job was a reconstruction project, but the contract for Hull No. 1, the tug Dorothy, was signed in 1890. After many years of service that tug would eventually return to the yard in 1974 and be dedicated as a permanent exhibit in 1976.

According to the official history, William Tazewell's Newport News Shipbuilding: The First Century, Huntington protested to the Secretary of the Navy in 1890 about competition from the Norfolk Navy Yard, a harbinger of many such disputes over government versus private shipbuilding in the future. Newport's first successful bids for construction of naval vessels, three gunboats, followed in 1893. The navy was pleased with the work and the yard was awarded more contracts for battleship construction. In this period the yard was also doing considerable commercial work, including the construction of cargo ships, passenger vessels, bay and river steamers, and tugs. In 1899, contracts for new vessels exceeded $10.5 million and 4,500 men were employed at the yard. Dry Dock No. 2 opened in 1901, the first of several expansions that continued into the 1990s.

Newport News was a company town in all respects, and Huntington personally underwrote financial losses in the early days. Huntington was said to be one of the largest, if not the largest, landholders in the country, and ran his vast interests from his New York office until his death in 1900. Ownership of the Newport News company then passed to Collis's son Archer Milton Huntington, a scholar, poet, and philanthropist with little interest in the shipyard.

Thus, after Huntington's death, the man most instrumental in guiding the shipyard was Homer L. Ferguson, a former navy officer and student of naval architecture and marine engineering, who came on board at the yard in 1905 and was made assistant superintendent of hull construction. Ferguson would become president of the company in 1915, serving in that capacity until 1946, when he was named chairman of the board. During his tenure at Newport News, he successfully steered the company through a long period that included two wars and the Great Depression.

In 1907 President Roosevelt dispatched the Great White Fleet on a round-the-world voyage to demonstrate American sea power. Seven of the fleet's 16 battleships had been built at Newport News. The shipyard was also soon to demonstrate its adaptability when all-big-gun ships became the standard for naval warfare, the company built six of these 'dreadnought' ships, most of which saw service as late as World War II. The yard's adaptability was recognized frequently in later years. It built its first five submarines in 1905, and in 1934 the Navy turned to the yard for the first aircraft carrier designed for such service. Most construction, however, continued to be for merchant shipping, among which were barges used in construction of the Panama Canal.

There were boom conditions at the yard during World War I, when the company built 25 destroyers and the last battleship launched until World War II. Moreover Newport News reconditioned the liner Leviathan for use as a troopship. After wartime projects were completed, there was a period in which no more naval work and few commercial contracts were available. The company took whatever work it could find and diverged into other manufacturing.

The disarmament treaties of the 1920s resulted in scrapping a number of warships, but the gathering war clouds of World War II saw a revival of shipbuilding. According to a Fortune magazine article of 1936, although 49 U.S. shipyards had been closed since 1920, Newport News became stronger due to 'the ablest management in the business' under Ferguson.

In addition to its shipbuilding in this period, the company repaired locomotives built an aqueduct, a bridge, and an office building manufactured traffic lights, transmission towers, and 9,000 freight cars and produced a variety of other equipment. Perhaps the most spectacular of all non-shipbuilding work was the fabrication of the largest turbines in the world for the Dnieprostroi Dam in the Soviet Union. After World War II, the company entered the atomic energy field, fabricating assemblies for nuclear reactors.

In 1940, Archer Huntington sold the shipyard to a syndicate of underwriters. Rumors of a sale had been circulating for years, and once the company was again thriving after the Great Depression, Archer regarded the time as right for a sale. The book value of the plant and property was reported at $17.79 million and its replacement value was around $29 million. The group of investors reportedly purchased Newport News for $18 million and the company went public, trading shares on the New York stock exchange.

Also during this time, the navy ordered seven carriers and four cruisers from Newport News, the beginning of a string of orders as a world war again seemed imminent. Newport News set up a subsidiary, North Carolina Shipbuilding Co. in Wilmington, North Carolina, to help handle the crush of wartime business. Vessels built there included 126 'Liberty' cargo ships before it was closed at the end of the war. Employment at Newport News rose to a high of 31,000 in 1943, with more than 50,000 at the Wilmington subsidiary.

However, the exultation felt by management and employees at the close of the war they helped win was tempered by uncertainty of the future. In the lean days that followed, the yard performed ship conversions and repair work. But with the development of jet aircraft, existing carriers were inadequate and the navy began planning supercarriers. After the outbreak of the Korean War the yard was awarded a contract for the first of several new supercarriers, the Forrestal.

A memorable day in the yard's history came on February 8, 1950, when the keel assembly for the United States, the largest passenger ship ever built in the nation, was laid. Launched in the summer of 1951, it was the world's fastest passenger ship and the first built at the yard in ten years. Also, in the fall of 1950, the yard fabricated the last turbines for the Grand Coulee Dam in the state of Washington.

In 1951 William E. Blewett, Jr., became the shipyard's eighth president. A forceful leader, Blewett decided to shift the company's focus into the field of nuclear power, a move praised more than 30 years later by another company president, Edward J. Campbell, as 'easily the most significant of the last 45 years.' By 1956, the company's Atomic Power Division had more than 200 employees, and a new subsidiary, the Eastern Idaho Construction Co., was formed to set up a reactor test station near Arco, Idaho. Engineers worked there with the navy's Bureau of Ships, planning for atomic-powered supercarriers. The age of the supertankers had also arrived, and on August 7, 1958, the largest tanker yet built in the United States, the Sansinena, was launched at the yard.

The advent of nuclear power brought numerous changes to Newport News, with new sections devoted to quality inspection, health physics, controlled material handling, and lead shielding. Since its earliest days the yard had an active apprenticeship program, and now it added classes and lectures about the new science of atomic propulsion.

In 1959 the yard launched its first nuclear powered submarine, the Shark, the first submarine built by Newport News in more than 50 years. The Enterprise, the world's first nuclear-powered carrier, was launched on September 24, 1960. The Robert E. Lee, christened December 18, 1959, was the first of 14 Polaris-class subs built at the yard. A new subsidiary, Newport News Industrial Corp., was set up to engage in specialized work on land-based nuclear power plants.

The 1960s brought several challenges to Newport News. The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission charged in 1966 that the company was discriminating against its African American employees. Although the company denied the charge, it entered into an agreement to accelerate promotions of African Americans and also began hiring greater numbers of women for jobs previously held only by men.

Tenneco Era of Ownership Begins in 1968

Moreover, by the fall of 1967, Newport News faced serious financial problems, as aerospace giants were moving into shipbuilding, leaving Newport News dangerously undercapitalized to compete. The yard reported a loss of nearly $3.5 million in the first half of 1968, a decisive factor in merger negotiations that the company began pursuing. In September 1968, Tenneco Inc., of Houston, Texas, acquired Newport News for approximately $123 million.

In the course of restructuring Newport News, Tenneco encountered strong opposition from organized labor and the Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA). Eventually, the employees gained representation by the United Steelworkers Union. OSHA levied a fine of $766,190 on the shipyard, citing 617 cases of deficient medical care, unsafe working conditions, and excessive noise. It was reportedly the largest fine OSHA had ever imposed on any company.

In the wake of such problems, Wall Street analysts advised Tenneco to sell Newport News, warning that the division would require costly modernization and reorganization. But Tenneco officials recognized the shipyard's potential, especially after plans for a 600-ship navy were announced in 1981. Indeed, the navy depended on the yard for all kinds of ships it was chosen as the lead yard in designing the Los Angeles class of attack subs, launched on April 6, 1974. Moreover, the company continued to overhaul and refuel Polaris subs on a regular schedule and converted several into improved Poseidon missile systems. Conversion and repairs remained a staple and the company's manufacturing operations were steady. In fact, the business backlog at Newport News had reached $1.4 billion by the end of 1971, and employment had risen to 27,500 by 1972.

However, while revenues rose year to year, profits failed to keep pace, as the company was faced with a profit squeeze due largely to the costs of plant expansions and labor. Indeed, the building of more modern ships, particularly the nuclear-powered vessels, proved a necessarily time-consuming process, as designs were changed mid-construction, and workers often found themselves idle while their co-workers completed other aspects of construction.

Also a major dispute between the yard and the U.S. Navy developed over the costs of building nuclear ships. The navy's Admiral Rickover continuously disputed costs, accusing Newport News of being unable to do its job properly. Newport News, in turn, accused the navy of being unable to properly finance its fleet. This dispute reached a climax in 1975, when the shipyard temporarily halted work on a cruiser. The yard threatened to get out of the business, but its claims against the navy were finally settled out of court when Deputy Defense Secretary William P. Clements, Jr., realizing that the situation had gotten out of hand, sought negotiations. A settlement was reached, and the relationship between the shipbuilder and the navy was mended.

During this time, with the navy representing a 93 percent share of the company's operating revenues, Newport News decided to attract more commercial business. The company constructed the new North Yard, where the liquefied natural gas carrier El Paso Southern was launched in 1977, followed by other supertankers. While the company enjoyed record revenues in 1975 through 1977, the commercial market for oil tankers declined dramatically in the face of a worldwide oil crisis, and eventually Newport News's revenues declined similarly.

During this time, a new Newport News president, Edward J. Campbell, was named, and he promptly set about turning the company around. Faced with declining profits, outmoded facilities, pending lawsuits, and even a substantial strike by ship designers and production workers, Campbell had his work cut out for him. Lawsuits and strikes were eventually settled, and Campbell focused on a program for improving conditions at the yards.

His efforts paid off for the first time, company revenues topped the billion dollar mark in 1981 and profits rose to $82 million. In 1983 the company posted record sales and income for the fourth straight year, with profits of $150 million and employment at 29,000. At the end of 1982, the navy awarded Newport News a $3.1 billion contract for the fifth and sixth Nimitz-class carriers, reportedly the biggest contract ever awarded a shipbuilder, and guaranteeing work into the 1990s. Moreover, an improved modular construction method was developed, employing computer technology that cut man hours and eliminated errors. In fact, the Tenneco annual report for 1984 reported that 'Improvements in earnings over the last five years are a direct result of innovative engineering concepts in modular construction and incentive-based contracts with the U.S. Navy.'

Newport News reentered the commercial cargo ship market in a big way in October 1994 when it signed a $150 million tanker contract with Eletson Corp., a major Greek shipping company. Newport News said the contract was the first commercial construction contract from an international ship owner won by an American yard since 1957. 'After almost 40 years of eating the dust of low-cost Korean, Japanese and West German yards, U.S. shipbuilders are suddenly back in world markets with a bang,' a Forbes magazine reporter noted, adding that 'work rule changes, greatly improved modular construction techniques, and a remorseless attack on overhead costs have helped builders like Newport News, long dependent on big navy contracts for their living, to capitalize on . wage differentials.'

Other commercial construction contracts brought so much business that Newport News abandoned a bid to build tankers for a Canadian consortium, citing time and space constraints. At the end of 1994, the company had work under contract extending into 2002. Moreover, a letter of intent between Newport News and the United Arab Emirates was signed in December 1994 to establish a new shipbuilding and repair company in Abu Dhabi. The shipyard was to be an equity investor and manage the Abu Dhabi Ship Building Co., which would construct and repair military and commercial vessels. During this time, W.R. (Pat) Phillips was named chairman and chief executive officer of the shipyard and William P. Fricks was promoted to executive vice-president and chief operating officer.

Navy work still comprised the majority of the yard's business in 1994, when the company was awarded a $3 billion contract to build the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier Ronald Reagan. The christening of the last Los Angeles-class vessel Cheyenne came in April 1995. Due to cutbacks in the defense budget, however, the yard entered into a bitter contest with the Electric Boat Division of General Dynamics Corporation, of Groton, Connecticut, for the contract to design and build the navy's new attack submarines.

Tenneco approved a $68 million World-Class Shipbuilding Project in December 1994, to upgrade the yard's steel fabrication facilities, a step the company expected would dramatically reduce costs for future ship construction. Newport News also began a $29 million project to extend the yard's largest dry dock, allowing for simultaneous construction of carriers and large commercial ships.

Still, operating income for 1994 was $200 million, compared with $225 million in 1993, and revenues also decreased slightly from $1.9 billion to $1.8 billion. While the New York Times reported that several analysts were predicting that Tenneco would divest itself of Newport News, Tenneco Chairman and CEO Dana G. Mead maintained that the corporation had no such plans. In its 1994 annual report, company officials stated that the shipyard would continue to pursue additional U.S. Navy contracts in its core business of new ship construction, refueling and overhaul, and nuclear engineering. However, they said the yard also would continue working to diversify through commercial shipbuilding and foreign military sales, and by 'increasing sales of technological expertise.'

After 46 years of service at Newport News, company Chairman William R. Phillips retired in October 1995, which paved the way for the promotion of William P. Fricks. Fricks assumed command at a pivotal juncture in Newport News's history. The January 1994 decision to pursue commercial work represented a difficult transition for a company that exclusively relied on U.S. Navy contracts. Fricks inherited the daunting task of achieving the company's stated goal of reducing its reliance on Navy work to 60 percent of revenues by 2000. His job was made that much more difficult by the uncertain relationship between Newport News and its parent company, Tenneco. Speculation concerning Tenneco's divestiture of Newport News continued as the transition in leadership was underway. In January 1996, the rumors became closer to fact when Tenneco confirmed that it might spinoff Newport News as part of its sweeping restructuring program aimed at shedding non-core businesses. Eventually, Tenneco chose to take such a course when it announced its merger with El Paso Energy Corp. In December 1996, Tenneco shareholders approved the merger and the spin off of Tenneco's automotive parts and packaging businesses and its Newport News subsidiary as separate companies. Once again, Newport News operated as an independent company.

As Newport News embarked on a new era, it also reopened a chapter of its earlier history in commercial work. In September 1997, the company christened the American Progress, the first commercial ship built by Newport News in nearly two decades and the first U.S.-built double-hull oil tanker constructed according to the standards mandated by the U.S. Pollution Act of 1990. Triggered by the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill, the law stipulated that all ships carrying petroleum products in U.S. coastal waters be double-hull vessels by 2015, which gave birth to Newport News' 'Double Eagle' program. The American Progress was the first of nine tankers scheduled to be built by Newport News, but the foray into the commercial sector soon faltered. The Double Eagle program suffered from higher than anticipated costs and anemic demand for newer, higher-profit-margin tankers. By 1998, the company had decided to stop pursuing commercial shipbuilding contracts, a failed diversification punctuated by the somber June 1999 christening of the tanker Brenton Reef, the last of the six tankers the company built for commercial customers. 'Somebody asked me,' Fricks remarked in a June 18, 1999 interview with Knight-Ridder/Tribune Business News, '`Would you do it over?' and I said `No.'

The discouraging exit from the Double Eagle program was just one of the difficult events Fricks had to contend with in 1999. Newport News was the target of two hostile takeovers in 1999, one from Litton Industries Inc. and another from General Dynamics Corporation, both of which Fricks was able to fend off. The company also had to withstand a four-month strike by more than 9,000 of its steel workers that commenced in April 1999, which coincided with the loss of an acquisition target, Avondale Industries Inc., to rival suitor Litton Industries.

Despite the setbacks that marred the latter half of the 1990s, Newport News entered the 21st century with optimism, focused on its core defense products, aircraft carriers and submarines. In 2000, construction of the aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan was nearly complete, with the christening ceremony scheduled for March 2001. Hopes were buoyed also by the shipyard's return to building submarines, namely four Virginia-class submarines. Construction of the first two submarines, SSN 774 and SSN 775, was underway as the company entered the new century. Construction of SSN 776 and SSN 777 was scheduled to begin in 2001.

Principal Subsidiaries: Continental Maritime Industries, Inc. Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company.

Principal Competitors: Litton Industries, Inc. Todd Shipyards Corporation General Dynamics Corporation.

Banks, Howard, 'The New Newport News,' Forbes, August 7, 2000, p. 122.
Cosco, Joseph, 'Down to the Sea in Ships,' Journal of Business Strategy, November-December 1995, p. 48.
Dinsmore, Christopher, 'Tenneco Executive Confirms Chance of a Spin Off of Newport News Shipbuilding,' Knight-Ridder/Tribune Business News, January 31, 1996, p. 1310183.
Huber, Lisa, 'Tenneco Nears Decision on Virginia Shipyard,' Knight-Ridder/Tribune Business News, March 20, 1996, p. 3200244.
Jones, Kathryn, 'Tenneco's Plan May Reap $1 Billion,' New York Times, December 14, 1994, p. D4.
Krewatch, Mark, 'Tenneco-Era Virginia Shipyard Workers Look to Future with Hope,' Knight-Ridder/Tribune Business News, December 9, 1996, p. 1209B0942.
Phalon, Richard, 'Back in the Game,' Forbes, December 5. 1994, pp. 58--60.
Schmitt, Eric, 'Two Submarine Makers Vie for a $60 Billion Project,' New York Times, May 17, 1995, p. A1.
Sheanm, Tom, 'Newport News, Va., Finishes Last Oil Tanker in Private Contract,' Knight-Ridder/Tribune Business News, June 18, 1999, p. OKRB9916912E.
Shorrock, Tim, 'Virginia Yard Homes in on Five-Ship Contract,' Journal of Commerce, May 17, 1995, p. B8.
Tazewell, William L., Newport News Shipbuilding: The First Century, Newport News, Va.: The Mariner's Museum, 1986.
'Va. Yard Wins Federal Aid to Design LNG Tanker,' Journal of Commerce, June 2, 1995, p. B8.

Source: International Directory of Company Histories , Vol. 38. St. James Press, 2001.


U.S.S. NEWPORT NEWS

The USS NEWPORT NEWS (CA-148), a Des Moines-class heavy cruiser, was commissioned on 29 JAN 1949. USS NEWPORT NEWS served her country for 26 years, 4 months and 29 days, until decommissioned on 27 JUN 1975. NEWPORT NEWS spent the first eighteen years sailing from the East Coast on routine and contingency deployments. She answered the call to project American strength in the East Mediterranean and in several instances in the Caribbean, including the Cuban Missile Blockade. In September 1967 she sailed for the Pacific and the War in Vietnam. NEWPORT NEWS deployed three times to Vietnam, providing air defense and shore bombardment for the American effort. USS NEWPORT NEWS spent her "twilight tour" homeported in Norfolk, and sailing to the North Atlantic, Caribbean, hosting diplomatic and ceremonial events, midshipman training and a final dependent's cruise. NEWPORT NEWS was decommissioned in June 1975 and eventually scrapped in the early 1990s

The USS NEWPORT NEWS (CA-148) deployment history and significant events of her service career follow:


Fisherscreeknn.org

Fishers Creek served the Warwick River Shire (the origins of Warwick County) as a work-boat repair haven dating back to the beginnings of the seventeenth century. It was advertised as " . one of several small streams making inland, which, at the mouths, provided safe anchorage for skiffs, shallops, and small sloops." The remains of a few of these old wooden boats are just now disappearing from the banks of the creek.

Warwick River Shire, created in 1634, contained Mulberry Island, Denbigh, Blunt Point, and the Fishers Creek area. Even that early in time, this area was a fully settled center of trade, farming, political, and religious activity. During the Colonial period, some of the most influential men of the colony dwelt here with their families: Governor Samuel Mathews, Colonel William Cole, Colonel Miles Cary, Sr., Thomas Harwood (of Harwood's Mill), and Cole Digges. George Wythe, the William & Mary professor of law and instructor to Thomas Jefferson, practiced his profession at the Warwick Court in 1748 when he was 22 years old, ]axon's Gaol, now Jail Point at the southern end of Mulberry Island, presumably served during the seventeenth and eighteenth century period as a working prison. Early maps show a small island off the southern end of Mulberry Island on which ]axon's Gaol stood. That island has long since disappeared.

Aerial photograph of Fishers Creek

Several plantations were developed early in the area, including Blunt Point plantation, the seventeenth century home of William Roscow, Commissioner of Warwick County. Other plantations included those at Denbigh and Lee Hall.

The eighteenth century was a period of little growth for Warwich River Shire. In 1739 the area experienced a brief flurry of excitement with "pirate treasure" fever. It was reported that treasure was buried on Mulberry Island, possibly by the notorious Virginia pirate Blackbeard. Lieutenant Marnard killed the pirate on November 22, 1718. Afterward, Blackbeard's head was displayed on a pike on what became known as Blackbeard's Point in Hampton. That elusive Mulberry Island treasure has never been found.

In the beginning of the twentieth century, Warwick continued as an independent village, served until the 1940's by riverboat and rail. In fact, the mail service to Warwick was by mail boat which made its regular stops at a postal facility at Deep Creek. The Deep Creek school, still standing at 511 Deep Creek Road, served families on both sides of Fishers Creek. Students on the south side of the creek had to make their way out Blount Point Road to Warwick Road, then back towards the James River on Deek Creek Road to the school. This walk would take over one hour. In about 1920, a Blount point family built a footbridge across Fishers Creek to cut the walking time to school to about 20 minutes. This footbridge crossed from near what is now Hillcrest Drive on the south side of the creek to the area near what is now Graham Drive on the north side. The seventy year old remnant pilings of the footbridge can be seen by boat on the creek today.


Hampton Roads History: The Founding of Newport News

Although several sections of modern Newport News were visited when the English colonists first came to Virginia, Newport News remained just a place name on maps for more than 250 years. Yet, the Civil War brought attention to this point of land and 30 years later, the city of Newport News was born.

WHAT’S IN A NAME?

So, where did the unusual name of Newport News come from? The city’s downtown was labeled Point Hope on Captain John Smith’s map of Virginia. The first references to “Newportes Newes,” with eight different spellings, appears in the Virginia Company’s record of 1619, making it one of the oldest English place names in the New World.

It is clear that the name had been in common usage from the colony’s beginning. According to one popular version, when the colonists abandoned Jamestown in 1610, they ended their exodus when they learned of Lord De La Warr’s arrival with more settlers and food. It was Captain Christopher Newport, so the story goes, who delivered the news prompting their turnabout and the colony’s salvation. So, the place where that occurred is remembered as “Newport’s News,” which is how the name was usually printed until the city’s formal founding in 1896.

/> Captain Christopher Newport at Newport News Point, May 2, 1607. Allan D. Jones Jr., artist. Mural at West Avenue Library. Courtesy Newport News Public Library.

However, there are competing explanations, or folk etymologies, for the name origins. One holds that it was called “New Port Newce” after Captain Thomas Newce and Sir William Newce, who came to Virginia from Newcetown (also called Port Newce), Ireland, in 1620-1621. According to Hugh Blair Grigsby, this combination links the names of Newport and Newce.

Yet another theory comes from American writer Edward Everett Hale, author of the short story “The Man Without a Country,” first published in the Atlantic in December 1863. Hale suggested the name was a corruption of Newport Ness – “ness” being an Old English word for a headland or promontory.

Whatever the fabled or real truth may be, it seems impossible to say with absolute certainty just how Newport News got its name. But the most obvious reasoning would appear to credit the explorer, Captain Christopher Newport. He made five trips to Virginia when the colony was young, bringing, according to Captain John Smith, that most important cargo: news.

NEWPORT’S NEWS POINT
Union Battery at Newport News Point, view from Camp Butler along the James River. J. Kruse of First Regiment New York Volunteers, artist. Harper’s Weekly, February 15, 1862.

When the Civil War erupted, Newport’s News Point became a household name. On May 27, 1861, Major General Benjamin Franklin Butler built Camp Butler on the point where the James River empties into Hampton Roads. Camp Butler had a water battery and was reinforced by two Union warships, USS Congress and USS Cumberland.

Merrimac and Monitor Duel: First Battle of the Ironclads, Hampton Roads, 1862. Illustrated Postal Card Co., ca. 1906. The Mariners’ Museum MS0429-02-02-05.

On March 8, 1862, Newport News became a household name when the Confederate ironclad ram, CSS Virginia (Merrimack), sank both of these powerful warships in one afternoon, proving the power of iron over wood. At the war’s end, the Newport News POW camp was established next to Camp Butler, holding Confederate soldiers. Newport News was now a place of importance. Yet, it was soon forgotten as the entire region of eastern Virginia strived to rebuild after the war.

A CITY IS BORN.

As a young man, Collis Potter Huntington traveled throughout the north and southeast coast as a Yankee peddler. His travels brought him, as the story goes, to Hampton Roads. While there he visited Newport’s News Point about 1839 or 1841. He later reflected, there is:

“a point so designed and adapted by nature that it will require comparatively little at the hand of man to fit our purposes. The roadstead, well known to all maritime circles, is large enough to float the ocean commerce ….it is never troubled by ice and there is enough depth of water to float any ship that sails the seas and at the same time is so sheltered that vessels can lie there in perfect safety at all times of the year.”

Collis P. Huntington. Stephen W. Shaw, artist.

Huntington believed that there “could no better place for a city.” However, his fortunes blossomed when he was in California: he created the Central Pacific Railroad which became part of the Transcontinental Railroad, and the Southern Pacific Railroad. He then acquired the bankrupt Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad with the goal of connecting the Ohio River with the Atlantic Ocean.

Using the Old Dominion Land Company as a cover, Huntington began purchasing land at the tip of the Virginia Peninsula to bring his railroad to Newport News Point. He had other options like West Point or Yorktown yet Huntington liked to control everything. So, he chose Newport News.

On December 6, 1880, Huntington endeavored to change the town’s name to “Minnetta” in honor of his adopted daughter. But local opposition blocked this name change, making this rebuff Huntington’s only defeat on the Peninsula. By 1881, the C & O reached the mouth of the James River to the new port city. Huntington owned and created everything — port facilities, land that was sold as lots for house construction, the Hotel Warwick and Casino Grounds, water supply, and gas and electric companies — everything.

Hotel Warwick, 1917. Postcard. Courtesy of Newport News Public Library.

Huntington knew that inter-city transportation was a necessity. Accordingly, the C & O established a ferry service to Norfolk and Col. Carter M. Braxton, who worked for Huntington building the railroad, established the Newport News Street Railway Company which later expanded into Hampton and Newport News Electric Car Company. The city began to prosper as workers and businessmen began moving to Newport News to partake in this economic growth.

C & O Railroad pier, Newport News Shipbuilding, 1917. Postcard. Courtesy of Newport News Public Library.

THE CITY EXPANDS.

Collis Potter Huntington understood that a successful city required various major industries. His initial vision for Newport News included the railroad and the port. Nevertheless, as he did with other towns like Huntington, West Virginia, he needed yet another major industry for Newport News. The coal from his mines was placed in his trains and delivered to his docks but he did not control the colliers or have the ability to build or repair those ships.

So, in 1886, Huntington created the Chesapeake Dry Dock & Construction Company. Dry Dock #1 officially opened with the docking, at no charge to the US Navy, of the monitor Puritan. It was a grand affair. Huntington attended with two noted poets, Joaquin Miller and Walt Whitman, along with Governor Fitzhugh Lee of Virginia.

USS Puritan. the first US Navy vessel refitted at the Chesapeake Dry Dock and Construction Company. Ca. 1889. The Mariners’ Museum P001.008-01–PH3918_1.tif

Less than a year later, the yard was renamed Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Company.

USS Kearsarge and Kentucky Ready for Launching, March 23, 1898, NNS and DD Co. The Mariners’ Museum P0001.014-01–PN1894C260.

By 1896, the yard received its first US Navy contract to build the USS Kentucky and Kearsarge. By the time of C.P. Huntington’s death in 1900, Newport News was becoming a household name. The city was truly a Huntington legacy with its schools, commercial areas, thriving major industries, and rising population.

NEWPORT NEWS SHIPBUILDING

Arabella Huntington became theowner of the shipyard, and the chairman of its board of directors was C.P. Huntington’s nephew, Henry Edwards “Eddie” Huntington. They later married but they left the business of the yard to various presidents like Walter Post.

When then- president Albert Hopkins went down with RMS Lusitania on May 7, 1915, Homer Lenoir Ferguson took the helm. Ferguson readied the yard for war with major improvements and expanded ship repair capabilities.

Albert Hopkins. The Mariners’ Museum.

When the United States declared war on Germany in April 1917, the yard was quickly expanding. The shipyard received over $100 million in contracts to build battleships, battle cruisers, destroyers and transports, as well as to repair more than 1,400 vessels. Workers worked round-the-clock. On July 4, 1918, known as Liberty Launching Day, Newport News Shipbuilding launched three destroyers: Thomas, Haraden, and Abbott. The Daily Press proclaimed that “Each one was a death blow to Prussianism.” The yard’s employment increased from 7,600 workers to a peak of 12,512 in September 1919.

Liberty Launching Day, July 4, 1916. The Mariners’ Museum P0001.019-01-102-PS456.

Workers building ships or the nearby military camps flooded the community and the need for housing was acute. “People who never before thought of taking in any roomers or boarders could not resist the opportunity to make money quickly,” according to the 1919 Municipal Survey. Many boarding houses resorted to the device of “hot bedding” or room sharing. But the officials at the shipyard were finding it hard to attract and keep older, skilled workers, the ones who were needed most.

“Always Good Ships” – Homer Ferguson at plaque quoting C. P. Huntington, before 1918. Edward Hungerford, photographer. The Mariners’ Museum MS0003-001.1078-02496.jpg.

Shipyard president Homer Ferguson testified before the US Senate and was able to receive financing from the US Emergency Fleet Corporation, an agency of the War Shipping Board. This resulted in the construction of the Shipyard Apartments, across from the yard’s main gate.

Also, the unique Garden City Movement community of Hilton Village was built arising out of the piney woods of Warwick County. Houses appeared as English cottages with churches, schools, a business district, and access to the James River. When the war ended, construction of the village stopped. Consequently, Henry E. Huntington made sure that this community was finished in 1919. Huntington would eventually purchase this federally-funded village so that he could sell the houses to individual homeowners. He also made important improvements to the community such as building the Colony Inn and installing gas lines.

Hilton Village, 1918. The Mariners’ Museum MS0153󈝮.50-0491.

HAMPTON ROADS PORT OF EMBARKATION

Shortly after the United States declared war, Newport News was named Headquarters, Hampton Roads Port of Embarkation. The US Army took over the operation of the port from the C & O and began to establish embarkation camps and training areas in Newport News and Warwick County. Camps Stuart, Hill, and Alexander existed primarily to process troops going overseas. The town was teaming with troops as Thomas Wolfe later wrote in Look Homeward, Angel:

“Twice a week the troops went through. They stood densely in brown and weary thousands on the pier while a council of officers, tabled at the gangways, went through their clearance papers. Then, each below the sweating torture of his pack, they were filed from the hot furnace of the pier into the hotter prison of the ship. The great ships, with their motley jagged patches of deception, waited in the stream they slid in and out in unending squadrons.”

Camp Stuart was America’s largest troop clearinghouse and was located between the Small Boat Harbor and Salter’s Creek. It was America’s largest troop clearinghouse during the war with 115,000 soldiers. Camp Hill, positioned along the James River, processed 67,887 men overseas. It also served as the port’s animal embarkation area. The camp’s capacity was 10,000 animals with 900 men to manage the 33,704 horses and 24, 474 mules that were handled by this camp. Due to racial tensions, Camp Hill was divided to create Camp Alexander for Black labor battalions and stevedores.

Birds Eye View Camp Morrison, VA, March 19, 1919. Postcard. The Mariners’ Museum MS0647󈝭.01-02.

Up Warwick Road, near Hilton Village, was Camp Morrison it served as an Air Service Depot for the embarkation of balloons and aero squadrons. The final major military base established in Warwick County during World War I was Camp (later Fort) Eustis, built on Mulberry Island with a deep water harbor on Skiffes Creek. Eustis was named for the founder of Fort Monroe’s School of Artillery Practice Bvt. Brigadier General Abraham Eustis. This camp was used for an artillery range. It also became known as the “experimental shop of the Coast Artillery” as soldiers pioneered two new fields of artillery science: anti-aircraft and railway artillery.

The Army Air Service Balloon Observation School, also known as the Lee Hall Balloon School, was also created as part of Camp Eustis. In August alone, 46,130 soldiers were sent to France in 31 transports. A total of 261,820 soldiers were sent overseas from Newport News, while another 441,146 soldiers returned. It was an amazing effort.

“NEWPORT NEWS BLUES”

The citizens of Newport News opened their hearts and homes for all of these servicemen passing through the port. Numerous organizations were established or expanded to handle the influx of soldiers and seamen. In one month, the YMCA on 32nd Street provided 2,200 baths, slept 2,475 soldiers, and served 6,000 meals. Other organizations like the Salvation Army, Women’s Service League, Jewish Welfare Board, and American Library Association endeavored to attend to the servicemen’s needs. The Girl’s Patriotic League knitted socks, rolled bandages, and made masks, while Boy Scouts sold war bonds. Dances were held and concerts were given to provide patriotic enjoyment for the thousands passing through Newport News.

One soldier noted he had never seen such a town and such generous people. He ate very well: “That’s the fifth invitation today and I can’t hold another bit.” But not all was perfect. There was a downtown Newport News riot over merchants profiteering on November 11, 1918. Soldiers suffered greatly from the Spanish Flu, loneliness, and living away from their loved ones.

Two doughboys, Sgt. Hal Oliver and Crp. Willie Shifrin, wrote this popular little ditty, “Newport News Blues”:

Oh! Newport News Blues is the latest fad

Newport News will surely drive you mad,

You start into jazz–then raz-ma-taz-

Oh, way down south – in the land of cotton,

Your Uncle Sam has not forgotten,

You’re a-way-a-way far a-way from Broadway-

They sing and dance that haunting mel-o-dy-

Oh! When you’re down in Newport News

What do they want to play that dog-gone blues for?

The blues of Newport News … Oh! News.

A STEPPING STONE

In less than 60 years after the end of the Civil War, the city of Newport News was internationally known as a shipbuilding center with excellent port facilities. C. P. Huntington’s vision had proven to be more than correct. Huntington laid the groundwork with his railroad and port, both connecting Newport News with all of the United States and nations throughout the world. Newport News surely became a boom town during World War I which provided the platform from which it grew into the thriving city it is today.


The World in Motion, Fashion and Modernity 1885-1945

The Newport Historical Society is pleased to partner with the Audrain Automobile Museum to offer a joint exhibit focusing on the evolution of fashion from the height of the Gilded Age to the beginning of the modern era. The exhibit will be featured at the Newport Historical Society at 82 Touro Street, and the Audrain Museum at 222 Bellevue Avenue beginning May 29th.

This multi-site exhibit examines a previously unknown collection of clothing and accessories belonging to three Vanderbilt women of New York and Newport: Alice Gwynne Vanderbilt and her daughters Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney and Gladys Moore Vanderbilt Széchényi.


Newport News: History

Topics include Dining Scene, United States: For Foreign Visitors & more!

Although the modern history of Newport News , Virginia does not begin until the 17th century, the area where the city lies has been inhabited by native Indians for thousands of years.

The area where Newport News is found today was first settled by Europeans at the beginning of the 1600’s. A few decades later, the town officially became unincorporated and existed in an area known as Warwick county, as an independent entity. It remained as such for the following 250 years, and by the turn of the century had grown to a sizable population of nearly 20,000 people.

During the American Civil War of the 1860’s, a number of key events occurred in the city of Newport News , and evidence is still found around the historical societies in the city today.

For the following half century, Newport News continued to remain an independent town in the county of Warwick . Then, in 1958 both parties agreed to join as one, and became the third largest city in the State of Virginia .

A major industry in the city is shipbuilding, which was brought to prominence in the area by the Northrop Grumman Company. This has continually added jobs and revenue to the local economy.


Released: Monday, April 20, 2020

This soulful group with origins in Newport News has been performing for decades. Their showmanship and songwriting prowess is unmatched. We are proud to have held a variety of concerts featuring their incredible talents, including our 11th Anniversary Concert with Jean Carne.


New historical marker celebrates rediscovery of Newport News' lost past

NEWPORT NEWS — Like many other places in eastern Virginia at the end of the Civil War, most of the records documenting Warwick County's long, long past had been reduced to ashes.

What hadn't been looted by curious Union soldiers during the month-long 1862 Siege of Yorktown — when Federal tents covered the courthouse green — had been partly burned in a Dec. 15, 1864, fire that destroyed a wide swath of county court minute books and loose records dating from 1787 to 1819.

The remaining documents went up in smoke on April 3, 1865, when Confederate-set fires blazed out of control and consumed an irreplaceable repository of Virginia county records that had been moved to Richmond for safekeeping.

Described by the Library of Virginia as a "catastrophic loss," that giant vacant space in the county's past helps explain why the city of Newport News and the Warwick County Historical Society have taken such pains to erect a historical marker on the site of a long-forgotten 19th-century plantation.

Despite being stripped of its official paper trail, much of the 19th-century history of Oakville plantation — which was located off what is now Harpersville Road — has been rediscovered with the recent publication of previously unknown family papers.

And that unexpected window into the county's lost past has provided new information about the lives of the property's African-American slaves as well as its elite white owners.

"To my knowledge, this parallel does not exist with any other property in Warwick County," says Mary Kayaselcuk, Historic Site Coordinator for the city's Lee Hall Depot restoration project, who helped organize the dedication of an interpretive marker at 11:45 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 17.

"Those papers are giving us some pretty significant information about a time and place that had been forgotten."

New insights

Founded in the 1700s by two prominent early Warwick County families — the Marrows and the Garrows — Oakville grew to encompass some 2,000 acres and included portions of two other counties.

By the early 1800s, it was the home of eight whites, 18 enslaved blacks and one free African-American male, according to surviving census records.

Nine more slaves were recorded in 1850, and by 1860 owner William C. Marrow was operating a plantation that boasted $20,000 in personal property and $5,000 in real estate, including not only the land but also a manor house and 11 slave cabins.

Little more was known, however, until Christopher Newport University historian Sean M. Heuvel was approached by a friend who asked him to take a look at an unpublished family history and photo collection that had been compiled in the 1940s.

"It was probably 400 pages of material — and as soon as I started reading I knew that it was going to provide some pretty interesting insights into Warwick County's history," he says.

"To be honest, I was blown away by how much of it focused on this area. It was full of information that can't be found anywhere else."

Old stories

Compiled by Mary Marrow Stuart Smith, the history draws largely on stories from Smith's family, especially her mother, Josephine, who was raised on Oakville Plantation after the Civil War.

But it reaches all the way back into the 1700s and the Marrow and Garrow clans, who joined in marriage before plowing all their energy and wealth into building a homestead and acquiring the property that made William C. Marrow one of the leading figures in early-1800s Warwick County.

Most of the material is personal, made up of stories and descriptions of events and characters, including numerous vignettes featuring her maternal grandfather, Col. Joseph Phillips of Elizabeth City County, now Hampton, and her father, J.E.B. Stuart II, who was the son of the celebrated Confederate cavalry general.

But Smith also included a rare description of the manor house and surrounding grounds.

"The house was painted white to be distinguished at a great distance, and the lane leading to the house was one mile long, with a cedar tree and a holly tree alternating every few feet apart," her mother had recalled.

"There was an outside kitchen, a well, a smokehouse, a carriage house, a stable and barn and a backhouse, or 'garden house,' as it was called."

Family ties

Smith described a family cemetery and a schoolhouse, too, as well as her family's relations with the African-Americans who toiled as slaves on Oakville Plantation.

According to family lore, Col. Phillips had planned to free his blacks before his life was cut short in an 1863 battle.

And even after his wife returned with her children as a war widow after the conflict's end, they retained close ties to their former slaves, some of whom continued to live and work on Oakville's lands after the manor house burned in the 1880s.

"One of the most magical moments I can recall from my childhood is seeing 'Aunt Columbia' and 'Uncle Washington' sitting on an old handmade wooden cart…. They proceeded to stop in front of our home (in Newport News) and hop down off the cart to give us Christmas goodies (from Oakville), " Smith recalled.

"These two were the soul of goodness and we adored them."

Both Washington and Columbia Braxton were listed in the 1870 census as members of the Marrow and Phillips household.

Their great-grandson — Clarence L. Braxton Jr. — is scheduled to be among the white and black descendants attending the dedication of the historical marker.

"There just isn't that much known about 19 t h -century Warwick County — and especially about the African-Americans who lived there," Heuvel says.


NewPort News - History

The Newport News (SSN 750), a Los Angeles-class submarine, was the third ship of the U.S. Navy to be named for Newport News, Virginia. The contract to build her was awarded to Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company in Newport News, Virginia on April 19, 1982 and her keel was laid down on March 3, 1984. She was launched on March 15, 1986, sponsored by Mrs. Rosemary D. Trible, and commissioned on June 3, 1989, with Cmdr. Mark B. Keef in command.

October 3, 2002 USS Newport News departed Naval Station Nofolk for a scheduled deployment in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.

January 6, 2003 SSN 750 moored outboard the USS Emory S. Land (AS 39) at Naval Support Activity La Maddalena in Sardinia, Italy, for a week-long Fleet Maintenance Availability (FMAV). Inport La Maddalena again from Feb. 11-15.

March 31, The Newport News pulled into Souda Bay, Crete, for a four-day port call to get tender support services from Emory S. Land.

April 23, USS Newport News returned to homeport after six-and-a-half month combat deployment. The sub launched 19 Tomahawk Land Attack Missiles (TLAMs) in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF).

October 25, 2004 USS Newport News departed Apra Harbor, Guam, after a routine port call.

February 15, 2005 USS Newport News returned to Norfolk Naval Station after a six-month deployment in the U.S 5th and 6th Fleet Areas of Responsibility (AoR).

March 4, Cmdr. Matthew A. Weingart relieved Cmdr. Frederick J. Capria as CO of the Newport News during a change-of-command ceremony at Naval Station Norfolk's Pier 3. Capria reported as Newport News&rsquo commanding officer in July 2002.

April 24, 2006 The nuclear-powered attack submarine is currently participating in a Composite Training Unit Exercise (COMPTUEX).

October 3, USS Newport News departed Norfolk for a scheduled deployment, with the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN 69) Carrier Strike Group, in support of the Global War on Terrorism.

January 8, 2007 SSN 750 collided with the Japanese-flagged motor vessel Mogamigawa at approximately 10:15 p.m. (local time) in the Strait of Hormuz while the submarine was transiting submerged. No U.S. Sailors or merchant crew were injured. Overall damage to the sub is being evaluated. The propulsion plant was unaffected by this collision.

January 29, Rear Adm. Douglas J. McAneny, Commander, Combined Task Force 54 relieved of duty Cmdr. Matthew Weingart due to a "lack of confidence in his ability to command." Capt. Norman B. Moore assumed temporary command of the Newport News.

April 24, USS Newport News returned to Norfolk after six-and-a-half month deployment.

October 1, 2009 The Newport News pulled into Willemstad, Netherlands Antilles, for a five-day port visit to Curacao.

October 15, USS Newport News returned to Naval Station Norfolk after a six-month deployment. The submarine participated in the 50th UNITAS exercise with South American allies and visited ports of Panama City, Panama and San Diego.

April 20, 2010 Cmdr. J. Carl Hartsfield relieved Cmdr. David W. Alldridge as CO of SSN 750 during a change-of-command ceremony at Norfolk Naval Station.

April 26, USS Newport News arrived in Port Everglades, Fla., for a Fleet Week 2010.

December 17, The Newport News returned to Norrfolk after a Friends and Family Tiger Cruise.

January 6, 2011 The Los Angeles-class attack submarine departed homeport for local operations.

February 21, USS Newport News departed Naval Station Norfolk for a scheduled deployment in the U.S. 6th Fleet AoR.

August 18, SSN 750 pulled into Portsmouth, England, for a routine port call.

September 15, USS Newport News returned to homeport after traveled nearly 40,000 n.m. Port calls to Toulon, France Faslane, Scotland Haakonsvern, Norway and Lisbon, Portugal.

December ?, 2011 USS Newport News entered the Norfolk Naval Shipyard in Portsmouth, Va., for a 23-month Engineered Overhaul (EOH).

August 2, 2013 Cmdr. Christopher J. Tarsa relieved Cmdr. J. Carl Hartsfield as the 12th CO of Newport News.

August 29, The Newport News departed dry-dock and moored to pierside location at Norfolk Naval Shipyard Completed EOH on May 29, 2014.

July 29, The Los Angeles-class attack submarine departed Naval Station Norfolk for local operations.

August 15, Capt. Paul S. Snodgrass, Commander, Submarine Squadron (SUBRON) 6, relieved of duty Cmdr. Christopher Tarsa due to a "loss of confidence in his ability to command." Cmdr. Roger E. Meyer, deputy commander at SUBRON 6, assumed temporary command of the USS Newport News.

September ?, Cmdr. Patrick B. Clark relieved Cmdr. Roger E. Meyer as CO of the Newport News.

September 11, 2015 Vice Adm. Joseph E. Tofalo relieved Vice Adm. Michael J. Connor as Commander, Submarine Forces/Submarine Force Atlantic/Allied Submarine Command during a change-of-command ceremony on board the Newport News at Berth 2, Pier 12 on Naval Station Norfolk.

September 14, USS Newport News departed homeport for a routine training Brief stop off Naval Station Norfolk for personnel transfer on Sept. 18 Moored at Naval Weapons Station Yorktown, Va., from Sept. 25- Oct. 2 Brief stop at Norfolk on Oct. 9 Moored at Berth 6, Pier 3 on Oct. 13 Underway for local operations on Nov. 14 Brief stop off Naval Station Norfolk on Nov. 20 and Nov. 23 Moored at Berth 1, Pier 3 on Nov. 28 Underway again from Nov. 30- Dec. ? and Dec. 11-1?.

December 24, USS Newport News departed Norfolk for a scheduled deployment.

January 7, 2016 The Newport News moored at Haakonsvern Naval Base in Bergen, Norway, for a routine port call.

January 20, SSN 750 moored at Berth 50, South Mole on Her Majesty's Naval Base (HMNB) Gibraltar, British overseas teritory, for a 17-day port call to conduct emergent repairs.

February 28, USS Newport News moored at West Berth K14, NATO Fueling Depot in Souda Bay, Crete, for a brief stop while participating in Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) exercise Dynamic Manta 16, in the Ionian Sea, from Feb. 19 through March 4 Brief stop at Berth K14 again on March 6 Transited the Suez Canal, escorted by USS Gonzalez (DDG 66), on March 9.

May 21, The Newport News transited the Suez Canal northbound, escorted by USS Gravely (DDG 107) Moored at Berth K14 in Souda Bay from May 23-26 Brief stop off Norfolk to embark Nuclear Propulsion Examination Board (NPEB) personnel for Operational Reactor Safeguards Examination (ORSE) on June 8.

June 10, USS Newport News moored at Berth 1, Pier 3 on Naval Station Norfolk following a five-and-a-half month deployment to the U.S. 5th and 6th Fleet AoR. The sub traveled 41,000 nautical miles and also made port call to Diego Garcia.

November 7, The Newport News moored at Berth 1, Pier 3 on Naval Station Norfolk after a two-week underway for Prospective Commanding Officer (PCO) operations.

November 10, Cmdr. Michael C. Grubb relieved Cmdr. Patrick B. Clark as CO of the SSN 750 during a change-of-command ceremony on board the sub.

November 21, USS Newport News moored at Berth 5, Pier 3 after underway for routine training Underway in support of the USS George H.W. Bush (CVN 77) CSG's COMPTUEX, as part of opposition forces, on Nov. 28 Moored at Berth 1, Pier 3 on Dec. 22.

January 18, 2017 The Newport News departed Norfolk for routine operations Brief stop at Trident Wharf in Port Canaveral, Fla., on Jan. 31 Moored at Berth 5, Pier 3 in Naval Station Norfolk on Feb. 2 Underway again on March 21.

March 29, USS Newport News anchored at Naval Anchorage B in Chesapeake Bay, off Annapolis, Md., for a five-day visit to U.S. Naval Academy.

April 24, The Newport News moored at Trident Wharf in Port Canaveral for an overnight stop after a day-long underway for VIP Cruise Moored at Wharf D1 in Naval Station Mayport from April 27- May 2 and May 4-7.

June 2, The Newport News moored at Berth 5, Pier 3 on Naval Station Norfolk Moved to Berth 2, Pier 3 on June 19 Underway again from Sept. 1-? and Oct. 25.

November 3, USS Newport News made a brief stop off Naval Station Norfolk for personnel transfer Moored at Berth 6, Pier 3 on Nov. 6.

January 21, 2018 The Newport News moored at Naval Weapons Station Yorktown, Va., for a week-long ammo onload Moored at Berth 1, Pier 3 on Feb. 2 Underway again on Feb. 5 Brief stop off Naval Station Norfolk for personnel transfer on Feb. 8 and Feb. 12 Moored at Berth 5, Pier 3 on Feb. 16.

March 8, USS Newport News departed Norfolk for a scheduled North Atlantic deployment.

April 3, The Newport News made a brief stop approximately 15 n.m. southwest of Haakonsvern Naval Base in Bergen, Norway.

April 17, USS Newport News moored at Valiant Jetty on Her Majesty's Naval Base (HMNB) Clyde in Faslane, Scotland, for the in-port phase of a multinational exercise Joint Warrior 18-1 Underway for at-sea phase on April 23 Moored at Valiant Jetty again from April 24-29.

June 15, SSN 750 moored at Valiant Jetty on HMNB Clyde in Faslane for a six-day port call Moored at HMNB Clyde again from July 27- Aug. 3 Transited the Straits of Moyle northbound, just after midnight, on Aug. 4 Transited the Strait of Gibraltar eastbound on Aug. ?.

August 30, The Newport News moored at Berth 50, South Mole in Her Majesty's Naval Base (HMNB) Gibraltar, British overseas teritory, for a four-day port call Brief stop off Norfolk to embark Nuclear Propulsion Examination Board (NPEB) personnel for Operational Reactor Safeguards Examination (ORSE) on Oct. 10.

October 13, USS Newport News moored at Berth 2, Pier 3 on Naval Station Norfolk following a seven-month deployment.

November 20, The Newport News moored at Naval Weapons Station Yorktown for an 11-day ammo offload Moored at Berth 4, Pier 3 on Dec. 1.

April 11, 2019 USS Newport News moored at Berth 2, Pier 3 on Naval Station Norfolk after a four-day underway for sea trials, following a four-month Selected Restricted Availability (SRA) Underway for PCO operations from April 16-19.

April 23, Cmdr. David W. Fassel relieved Cmdr. Michael C. Grubb as CO of the Newport News during a change-of-command ceremony on board the sub.

April 25, USS Newport News departed homeport for routine operations Moored at Trident Wharf in Port Canaveral, Fla., for a brief stop on May 23 Moored at Berth 2, Pier 3 in Naval Station Norfolk on May 2?.

June 12, The Newport News moored at Berth 5, Pier 3 on Naval Station Norfolk after a five-day underway for routine training Underway again on June 14 Brief stop off Naval Station Norfolk for personnel transfer on June 17 Moored at Berth 2, Pier 3 on June 21 Underway again on Aug. 31.

September 23, The Los Angeles-class attack submarine made a brief stop off Naval Station Norfolk for personnel transfer Returned home on Sept. 25 Underway again on Oct. 4 Brief stop off Naval Station Norfolk on Oct. 15 Moored at Berth 4, Pier 3 on Oct. 22.

November 13, USS Newport News moored at Berth 5, Pier 3 on Naval Station Norfolk after a five-day underway for routine operations Underway again on Dec. ? Brief stop off Naval Station Norfolk for personnel transfer on Dec. 5 Returned home on Dec. 9 Moved to Berth 6, Pier 12 on Dec. 13.

December 19, USS Newport News departed Norfolk for a scheduled Middle East deployment.

January 31, 2020 The Newport News made a brief stop off the coast of Djibouti, Djibouti, for personnel transfer.

From June 15-17, the Newport News participated in an anti-submarine warfare (ASW) exercise with the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN 69) CSG, while underway in the North Arabian Sea.

July 18, USS Newport News moored at Berth 4, Pier 3 on Naval Station Norfolk following a seven-month deployment. The sub traveled approximately 45,000 n.m. and also made port call to Diego Garcia.

August 31, The Newport News mored at Pier 10N in its new homeport of Naval Submarine Base New London in Groton, Connecticut.

October 15, USS Newport News entered the floating dry-dock Shippingport (ARDM 4) on Naval Submarine Base New London for a Drydocking Selected Restricted Availability (DSRA).

April 14, 2021 The Newport News undocked and moored pierside on Naval Submarine Base New London.


Watch the video: The Newport Mansions


Comments:

  1. Maxfield

    In my opinion, he is wrong. I'm sure. I am able to prove it.

  2. Ralston

    I subscribe to all of the above. We can communicate on this theme.

  3. Matchitisiw

    The morning is wiser than the evening.



Write a message