Yalding Village Officials

Yalding Village Officials



We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Meeting of the Manor Court on 7th April, 1336 to elect village officials and to grant licenses to sell goods in Yalding.

NNamePostFee
3John Nash reeve5s. 9d.
4Henry Furnertithing leader honorary
5Walter Herendentithing leaderhonorary
7John Halebeadle3s. 0d.
9Thomas Brookerwoodward3s. 0d.
10Stephen Webbhayward3s. 0d.
11Geoffrey Fletchermanorial clerk 2s. 0d.
13John Brickendentithing leaderhonorary
19Elizabeth Clarkeale conner 2s. 0d.
20Elicia Godfreytithing leaderhonorary
23Gilbert Bakermessor2s. 0d.
24Adam Fleetepinder2s. 0d.
28Alice Tayloraffeeror2s. 0d.
26Cecilia Barfoottithing leader honorary
29Matthew Wardtithing leaderhonorary
31Joanna Brownetithing leaderhonorary
36Matilda Biggetithing leaderhonorary

Granting of Licesnces

3Alice Nash brewer4s. 0d.
10Ivette Webb baker3s. 0d.
11Margaret Fletcherbaker3s. 0d.
36Matilda Biggebrewer4s. 0d.

Old Village Historic District

Several English style villages developed along the Charleston Harbor, east of the Cooper River, around the time that Charleston was established. This area offered cool breezes and abundant resources for the colonial families who chose to settle here. Learn more.

Village of Mount Pleasant

The charming village of Mount Pleasant was laid out by James Hibben in 1803 and took its name from one of the area’s eighteenth century plantations. The original Mount Pleasant plantation house, known today as the Hibben House, still stands in the Old Village.

Read about the Old Village Historic District and view the


History

In 1812, The Township of Chardon, Ohio was formally established from the land now encompassing Chardon Township and Chardon City and became one of 24 townships within the county. At that time, Geauga County also included land that later became Lake County. In 1851, the Village of Chardon separated from the Township and became incorporated. With the 2000 census figure exceeding 5,000, the Village automatically became the City of Chardon on April 29, 2001.

The following Information was provided by the Chardon Library Sesquicentennial Celebration Commemorative Edition Brochure.

1795-1848 - The Pioneers
The pioneers traveled in horse-drawn covered wagons, ox carts, sleighs, and makeshift sleds. They packed supplies such as pork and beans, maple syrup buckets, butter churns, axes and lanterns. Cached among such material necessities were the hopes, dreams, and cultural baggage that even today mark Chardon's New England roots. Cultural baggage items included the town name, town planning, religious beliefs, architecture, and a commitment to education and libraries.

2 major trails led to the Western Reserve from the east. Both the northern Lake Trail and the southern Pennsylvania State Road required a journey of 8 to 10 weeks. In 1812, Captain Edward Paine, Jr., moved into the log cabin that would be his temporary home and the first courthouse on Chardon Square. He was one of our 1st pioneers and the founder of Chardon. He served as Recorder from 1811 to 1835, Chardon postmaster ca. 1813 and County Auditor from 1820 to 1822.

1808-1848 - Chardon, A New England Town
In 1808, representatives from the Ohio General Assembly chose an unpopulated wilderness on a hill for the county seat of justice. With several fledgling towns under consideration, "nearly every man in Geauga County was thunderstruck," the editor of the Painesville Telegraph reminisced.

Land for the town plat was purchased for $400 from absentee owner and Boston entrepreneur Peter Chardon Brooks. By 1810, the wilderness on the hill had a name, Chardon (French for thistle). Other names considered included Brookfield, Brookville, Marshall, and Chardonia.

Chardon Square was a quintessential example of New England town planning with its focus on a central green or common surrounded by the most important community institutions, including the courthouse and town hall, churches, and schools. Early inns and stores as well as the homes of prominent residents also surrounded the green.

By 1848, a large columned courthouse (build 1824-1829) and a simple white clapboard Methodist Church (build ca. 1835) graced the north half of Main Street, attesting to the cultural importance of government and religion in a transplanted New England town. The Courthouse stood where Court Street and Lawyer's Title stand today. The Methodist Church was replaced by Memorial Hall (now the three story portion of the Courthouse Annex).

The New England commitment to education included making books available to the entire community, even one as tiny as Chardon with its population of 446 in 1840. On August 26, 1858, community members met in the Courthouse to organize a public library. County Recorder John French was chosen the first librarian and the books were kept in the Recorder's Office. The membership fee was $1 per year or the donation of one good book.

1868 - The Great Fire
On July 24, 1868, a fire broke out on Chardon's Main Street. The fire destroyed the Courthouse and with it the library. Many county records were saved but the fate of the library books is not known.

While the 1868 fire was Chardon's most devastating, it was not the only blaze residents battled. In 1876 a factory on North Hambden and an extensive flour mill at Washington and Water Streets burned. As a result a fire department was organized on March 21, 1877.

1868-1870 - Rebuilding
2 days following the fire, the Geauga County Commissioners and the citizens of Chardon led by Mayor E.V. Canfield gathered in the Chardon Town Hall on East Park Street. They discussed rebuilding the Courthouse and Main Street, resolving to "work unitedly and make every personal sacrifice that a renewal of our general prosperity may require."

The Chardon Town Hall was built 10 years after the town was incorporated. It stood on the site of the former High School, the current site of the Park Elementary playground just north of the Auditorium.

L.J. Randall spearheaded construction of the Randall Block (currently Antiques on the Square north to the I.O.O.F. hall, now Killeen Art Studio). The Chardon Building Company contracted with Herrick and Simmons of Cleveland to build the Union Block (currently Rickard's Bakery north to Court Street).

1815-1939 - Educating a Community
Reading, writing, and arithmetic were necessary skills for transplanted New Englanders committed to the Yankee work ethic and entrepreneurial success. Sending talented sons east to Yale College was an accepted practice until institutions of higher learning could be founded in the wilderness. But first, children needed educational opportunities in their home community.

The 1st school in Chardon may have been taught in the 2nd courthouse (A.K.A. King Courthouse, built in 1813 by Samuel King) on Water Street by Miss Mehitable Hall, later Mrs. Orrin Spencer of Claridon.

Pioneer schools, open for short sessions, also met in private homes and the basement of the Methodist Episcopal Church (built ca. 1835), then located on Main Street where now stands Memorial Hall (part of the Courthouse Annex).

The Brick Academy was built in the Main Street business row in 1826 and operated into 1840. Instructor Dr. O.W. Ludlow boarded nearby in Aaron Canfield's tavern and called his pupils to class each morning with a bugle.

Growth and change in the public schools was reflected in literary needs. In 1879 Chardon School teacher C.W. Carroll organized the Chardon Public School Library and Literary Society with books provided by the State of Ohio.

In 1882, the Chardon Circulating Library moved from the Recorder's Office in the Courthouse to the dental rooms of Dr. A.P. Nichols over the bank. In 1886, Carroll and members of the Union Temperance Meeting opened a room "as a place of resort for young people for reading and general improvement," over Moffet's store. In 6 months, the collection grew to nearly 600 volumes and 30 periodicals.

1898-1925 - Transportation & The Interurban
Chardon's transportation networks have been vital to community growth, beginning in 1798 when the Connecticut Land Company paid for the clearing of what became Girdled Road just north of Chardon.

Increased transportation networks connected Chardon to the world outside Geauga County, offering Clevelanders and others a glimpse of the country and small town life and attracting new residents.

Rumors of an electric road from Cleveland to Chardon circulated for several years before commitments were secured in 1898. South Street property owners even petitioned Village Council to grant a franchise for use of their street.

The livery stables, once so popular on Chardon Square, were replaced in the 20th century by automobile garages and service stations.

Today & Tomorrow
Today Chardon remains to many, a town rich in history and culture. Its public square is surrounded by government offices and quaint shops and many activities and events are still held there throughout the year.


Community Growth

By 1927, there were so many people living in the area that community leaders decided it was time to formally organize the community and incorporate it. On March 17, it was incorporated as the Village of Midlothian, taking its name from the golf club around which the community had grown and prospered. The following month, John H. Hamilton was elected as the village's first president.

In the '30s and '40s, homes continued to be built for people moving to and settling down in Midlothian. The Kreis Brothers opened the Ford Garage (where the village's fire engine was kept) and Chuck Cavallini began selling ice cream from his corner "Sweet Shop" (the Cavallini family would later own and operate the renowned Cavallini's Restaurant - home of the Chuck Wagon dinners - which served patrons from Midlothian, surrounding communities and even Chicago for a half century before closing in 1989). The first copy of The Messenger newspaper was printed in 1929 by the Andrews brothers, above the old Largent store located on 147th Street just west of Kildare. The first editor was Kevin McCann, who later served as aide-de-camp to General Dwight Eisenhower during World War II. McCann also worked with the General on his two books.


Picturing World War I: America's First Official War Artists, 1918-1919 -- George Matthews Harding (1882 - 1959)

Born into an artistic family in Philadelphia, Harding was particularly influenced by the art career of his older sister, Charlotte. Following in her footsteps, he studied at the Philadelphia Academy of Fine Arts, then with the distinguished illustrator-teacher Howard Pyle. In 1903 he began a successful career as an illustrator-author, which included international travel.

After becoming a war artist, Harding was particularly intrigued by the new technologies of war. His war pictures are full of guns, airplanes, motorcycles, trucks, and tanks. He returned to American in February 1919 and before the end of the year published a lavish portfolio of his war art, The American Expeditionary Forces in Action.

In 1922, Harding became the head of the department of illustration at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, remaining at the school until his retirement in 1958. During World War II, at age 60, he was once again commissioned as an army captain and created war art in the South Pacific. He was the only AEF artist to serve in both wars.


Gold, Silver, Bronze, Latex

Last week, the Brazilian newspaper Folha de São Paolo reported that a record-breaking 450,000 condoms would be provided for athletes at the Summer Games in Rio de Janeiro. Ever since the games’ condom count was first reported for the 1988 Olympics in Seoul—that number was 8,500—the press has dutifully recorded the size of the games’ latex supply. (The one exception: the 2006 Winter Games in Torino, for which figures were never released.) These numbers aren’t always parallel: Sometimes, media reports cite the amount of condoms distributed solely to athletes, while other numbers include those handed out to press and volunteers. The graphic below features our best estimate of the condom count for each Olympics since Seoul 1988, and we’ve shown our work at the bottom of the page.

Holly Allen/Slate

1988 Summer Olympics, Seoul: 8,500

1992 Winter Olympics, Albertville: 30,000
“Packs of three condoms are being distributed free to athletes and for a little less than $2 to others.” —New York Times, Feb. 5, 1992

1992 Summer Olympics, Barcelona: 90,000
“Officials laid in a supply of 90,000 condoms for the 16-day Games, and have dispensed well over half of them so far.” —Associated Press, Aug. 4, 1992

1994 Winter Olympics, Lillehammer: 40,000
Condoms “issued to athletes, officials, volunteers and journalists.” —Sydney Morning Herald, June 7, 1996

1996 Summer Olympics, Atlanta: 15,000
‘They were ordered just in case the athletes happen to be in the mood,’ said Shirley Jenkins, a nurse at the Olympic village.” —the Mirror, July 16, 1996

1998 Winter Olympics, Nagano: 36,000

2000 Summer Olympics, Sydney: 90,000
“Sydney organizers thought that 70,000 would be enough. They were wrong and had to send out for 20,000 more.” —Today, Feb. 18, 2010

2002 Winter Olympics, Salt Lake City: 100,000

2004 Summer Olympics, Athens: 130,000
“Condom manufacturer Durex has donated the prophylactics as well as 30,000 sachets of lubricant … ‘to smooth the performance of the world’s elite sports people in the arena and under the covers,’ it said in a statement.” —Reuters, July 27, 2004

2006 Winter Olympics, Turin: unknown
“The Italian organizers have not said how many are available, only that athletes will easily find them if they want them.” —Seattle Times, Feb. 14, 2006

2008 Summer Olympics, Beijing: 100,000
“[O]rganizers brought in 100,000, all with the motto ‘faster, higher, stronger.’ ” —Huffington Post, April 24, 2010

2010 Winter Olympics, Vancouver: 100,000
“Lest anyone get the wrong idea, a spokesperson clarified that this total included condoms given out to security staff and volunteers, and in public bathrooms. The athletes got just 40,000, or a mere 6.2 apiece.” —Washington City Paper, Sept. 18, 2013

2012 Summer Olympics, London: 150,000
“Durex, the official Olympic supplier, has sent 150,000 condoms to the village.” —NPR, Aug. 8, 2012

2014 Winter Olympics, Sochi: 100,000

2016 Summer Olympics, Rio: 450,000
“About 450,000 condoms will be distributed during the Rio de Janeiro Olympics, three times more than for the London Games four years ago, the International Olympic Committee says. Part of the reason was because 100,000 female condoms will be available for the first time, along with 350,000 condoms for men. About 175,000 packets of lubricant are also being supplied.” —Associated Press, May 21, 2016


Yalding Village Officials - History

The Village of South Vienna. a short history

The village was originally platted by John H. Dynes (1799-1849) in 1833, and he gave a plat of 32 lots to the village. At that time, the National Road had been surveyed but not yet constructed in this area. The road was finally completed in 1837, although it was opened through Vienna probably in 1834. Toll gates were placed on this thoroughfare about ten miles apart and tolls were collected until 1883.

In 1904 another plat was added by Charles Arbogast on the east side of East Street south of the present park. In the same year John Goodfellow platted an addition of 12 lots in the southwest corner of the village.

Vienna was the original name of the village named for Vienna, Austria. The name was then changed to Vienna Crossroads in 1840 because of a town with a similar name in Trumbull County and this name was retained until 1909 when the residents of the town felt they had outgrown its country name. This is when the village changed its name to the present name of South Vienna.

Vienna was and the village still is, the center of a farming community and trade with the farmers was its most important activity in the early days. The early settlers with few exceptions, were descendants of Scotch-Irish and Dutch settlers from Virginia, Kentucky, and North Carolina.


The name of the Village was changed again when, with the creation of Lake County in 1839, Libertyville was made the county seat. The new name, "Burlington," lasted until the county seat was moved to Little Fort (now Waukegan) in 1841. At that time, the Village reclaimed the name "Libertyville."

In 1881, the Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad (now the Metra Milwaukee District North commuter line) was extended to Libertyville. Rapid expansion of the Village resulted, with schools, churches, stores, mills, lumber yards and homes being built. The Village was incorporated in 1882, with John Locke as its first president.


Upcoming Events

Insider Tour of Meadowcroft Rockshelter

Enjoy an exclusive insider tour of Meadowcroft Rockshelter with James M. Adovasio, Ph.D., lead archaeologist on the site.

Insider Tour of Meadowcroft Rockshelter

Enjoy an exclusive insider tour of Meadowcroft Rockshelter with James M. Adovasio, Ph.D., lead archaeologist on the site.

Archaeology Day

As part of Pennsylvania Archaeology Month, Meadowcroft will partner with the Society for Pennsylvania Archaeology for a day-long event for archaeology-lovers everywhere.

Insider Tour of Meadowcroft Rockshelter

Enjoy an exclusive insider tour of Meadowcroft Rockshelter with James M. Adovasio, Ph.D., lead archaeologist on the site.

Meadowcroft Fall Finale

As Meadowcroft's 2021 season draws to a close, enjoy an autumn afternoon outside enjoying special, fall-themed programming.


Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill

Shaker Village is home to a remarkable story. The Pleasant Hill Shakers are recognized for their iconic architecture, skilled craftsmanship and profound spirituality, but the story doesn’t end there. During a 105-year span, the Pleasant Hill Shakers constructed more than 260 structures on the property. Today, there are 34 surviving buildings, most located along the mile-long gravel turnpike.

Discover the Shaker Village story at your own pace throughout The Historic Centre. Explore their impressive spaces, priceless artifacts, and curious lessons through a seasonal calendar of every day and special adventures. Then, head over to The Farm to meet the animals and out into The Preserve to explore 3,000 acres of discovery!

Named a top hidden travel destination by BBC News, Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill is a landmark destination that shares 3,000 acres of discovery in the spirit of the Kentucky Shakers. With 34 original Shaker structures, the site is home to the country’s largest private collection of original 19th century buildings and is the largest National Historic Landmark in Kentucky.


Watch the video: A village in Denmark