USS Sachem II - History

USS Sachem II - History

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Sachem II

(ScGbt.: t. 197; 1. 121'; b. 23'6"; dph. 7'6"; cpl. 52;
a. 1 20-par. P.r., 4 32-pdrs.)

The second Sachem, a screw steamer built in 1844 at New York City, was purchased by the Navy there on 20 September 1861.

After towing service in New York Harbor where the Navy was buying vessels to blockade the Confederate coast, Sachem, commanded by Acting Master Lemuel G. Crane, got underway on 6 March 1862 and, with Currituck, escorted Monitor to Hampton Roads. The ships reached Fort Monroe on the night of the 8th. Sachem was present the next day during Monitor's historic engagement with Confederate ironclad ram, Virginia, the former USS Merrimack.

On the 17th, Sachem was assigned to the Coast Survey and, with the assistant in charge, soon sailed for the Gulf of Mexico where Flag Officer Farragut was preparing to attack New Orleans. Sachem entered the Mississippi on 12 April; and, ". while exposed to fire from shot and shell, and from sharpshooters in the bushes," her boats surveyed the river from the passes to positions just below forts St. Philip and Jackson. They marked off the channel for Farragut's deep draft men-of-war and located firing positions for Comdr. David D. Porter's mortar schooners. Whenever riflemen in the underbrush along the river's marshy shores fired upon the surveying parties, a few rounds of canister from the Union warships would silence the musketry. However, at night, Confederates managed to undo much of the work of these brave engineers by moving their carefully located stakes and flags. But the triangulation continued, and, when Farragut moved his fleet up the river on the 15th, charts prepared by the Coast Survey guided each of Porter's vessels to a position from which it could fire accurately at one of the forts while suffering minimum exposure to enemy guns. On the morning of the 18th, when the schooners began bombarding the forts, each gunner knew to the yard the distance from his mortar to the target. In the days that followed, whenever a vessel changed its position, an officer of the Coast Survey would immediately calculate the new distance for her gunners, enabling them to resume their extremely accurate fire.

Sachem, meanwhile, was busy transporting the wounded to the hospital at Pilot Town, mapping the labyrinthian waterways in the vicinity, supplying pilots for military traffic on the river, and helping to refloat Miami after that gunboat had run aground.

Farragut, covered by an intense bombardment from Porter's schooners, had dashed through the obstructions across the river and past the forts on the night of 23/24 April. The outflanked riverine forts surrendered on the 28th.

Sachem, after supporting Farragut near New Orleans, arrived at Ship Island, Miss., on 5 May, but got underway later that day to reconnoiter Lake Ponehartrain and the Pearl River. Then, on the 7th, she accompanied the steamers of the mortar flotilla to the bar off Mobile Bay to get information and lay buoys for a contemplated attack on that port. On the 8th when steamer, Clifton, ran aground on Southeast Shoai under the guns of Fort Morgan, Sachem, ignoring the Confederate fire, steamed in to help refloat the ship.

The appearance of the Union warships off Mobile Bay prompted Confederate forces to destroy and evacuate the navy yard at nearby Pensacola, Fla. Porter assisted Brigadier General Lewis G. Arnold in occupying and restoring the abandoned works which soon became a valuable Union naval base in the gulf.

Few records have been found to help trace Sachem's movements during the coming weeks. On 16 May, while writing to the Superintendent of the Coast Survey, Porter mentioned Sachem leading three steamers up the Pearl River seeking Confederate gunboats reported there. On the expedition Mr. J. G. Oltmanns of the Coast Survey was severely wounded by a Confederate rifle ball. Sachem's guns quickly scattered the Southern sharpshooters. It is not clear whether this action occurred during Sachem's expedition up the Pearl which began on 5 May or took place during a later operation there. A late report states that men from Sachem were ashore above Natchez on the 25th, but nothing is known about their mission or about the operation of their ship at the time.

On the last day of June, Farragut ordered Capt. H. W. Morris, Senior Naval Officer at New Orleans, to man Sachem with officers and crew, so the Coast Survey probably returned her to the Navy there about this time. In the same dispatch, he also ordered Sachem to blockade Aransas Pass, Tex. Commanded by Acting Volunteer Lt. Amos Johnson, the gunboat served there as tender to bark, Arthur, late in July. On 12 August, she took an unidentified prize in Aransas Bay. Four days later, she and yacht, Corypheus, engaged a battery behind a levee. One shot struck the gunboat's side and wounded a petty officer before the Union ships silenced the Southern guns. The Confederate artillerymen later returned to their guns and resumed the duel which continued intermittently throughout the day. Two days later, Sachem, Reindeer, and Arthur supported a party from sloop, Belle Italia which landed near Corpus Christi, Tex., to attack a battery. Fire from the ships enabled the beach party to beat off a counter attack by large bodies of infantry and cavalry. They held their beachhead on the shore until freely withdrawing late in the day after exhausting their ammunition. Sachem's commanding officer, Acting Master Amos Johnson, won high praise for his "courage and zeal" during the action.

On the night of 6 December, Sachem captured a small, unidentified schooner manned by three men and laden with salt. The prisoners told of an armed Confederate schooner which had left Corpus Christi to sound the channel at Corpus Christi Pass. Two boats from Sachem got under way the next morning to intercept the Southern ship. They caught sight of their quarry some 28 miles further and gave chase. After pursuing the schooner, Queen of the Bay, about 8 miles, the boats forced her ashore. The Confederates abandoned their ship and opened fire on the Union boats from the shore, killing three men and wounding three others including the commander of the boat party, Acting Ensign Alfred H. Reynolds. The Federal sailors then left their boats and retreated overland 30 miles to rejoin Sachem at Aransas Bay.

Sachem, badly needing repairs, proceeded to Galveston where she arrived on 29 December. Two days later, before dawn on the first day of 1863, Confederate forces surprised the Union Navy ships in that port. During the struggle, Sachem and Corypheus vigorously supported the Union Army garrison which was under attack. Harriet Lane surrendered; and, after running aground, Westfield was destroyed to prevent capture. Sachem, under orders of Lt. Comdr. Law, senior surviving naval officer, ran through heavy artillery fire from the shore and escaped to sea. She reached New Orleans about midnight of 3-4 January.

In need of overhaul before the action, Sachem was badly cut up during the fighting in Galveston Harbor and had one propeller shot away. But, some two months of repair work at New Orleans restored the gunboat to fighting trim. At that time, early March 1863, Admiral Farragut was preparing to push up the Mississippi once more to help tighten the strangle hold which Admiral Porter and General Grant were closing around Vicksburg. Once past the Confederate batteries at Port Hudson, he intended to blockade the mouth of the Red River to stop the flow of men and supplies from the west to Southern armies fighting east of the Mississippi.

While Farragut approached on 14 March, Essex, Sachem and several mortar schooners ere already in position below the forts. That afternoon, as the mortars began a slow bombardment of the lower riverside breastworks, Sachem steamed up close to Southern batteries tempting them to reveal the positions of their cannon; but the Confederate guns spurned the bait and remained hidden. As darkness fell, Farragut moved his assault forces, three steam sloops-of war—each lashed to a gunboat—and sidewheeler, Mississippi, up to predetermined positions just out of range of Port Hudson's artillery. Shortly after ten, the warships, led by flagship, Hartford, and her consort, Albatross, got under way and stealthily steamed upstream. About an hour later, guns of the lower battery opened fire. Sachem, Essex, and the mortar schooners immediately replied. Their fire so hampered the gunners in the lower batteries that they did little damage to Farragut's flotilla as it raced up the river, guns ab lazing, toward more deadly batteries beyond range of Sachem, Essex, and the mortar schooners. About an hour past midnight on the 15th Comdr. Caldwell, in Essex, ordered Sachem to investigate a ship which had been sighted coming down stream. It proved to be Richmond being towed by Genessee after the steam sloop-of-war had been disabled and forced to retire from the action. Later, a boat came down and reported that Mississippi was aground and in trouble. While Sachem steamed to assist the distressed side wheeler, another boat appeared, rowing down, bringing Capt. Smith, Mississippi's commanding officer; Lt. George Dewey, the future hero of Manila Bay; and word that Mississippi had been abandoned. Sachem transferred the officers to Richmond and then headed back up river. She soon struck a raft, breaking it in two, fouling her propeller, and almost causing her to collide with Richmond. A few moments later, blazing Mississippi drifted into view and forced Sachem to maneuver desperately to avoid entanglement with that doomed and dangerous derelict. Then, Sachem devoted the rest of the night to picking up stray survivors of the side wheeler. During the fighting, Sachem's only serious injury was a fracture in the barrel of her 20-pounder Parrot rifle. After supporting Farragut's attack on Port Hudson, Sachem was based at Baton Rouge, to help maintain Union control of the lower river.

In April, while proceeding to Berwick Bay, La., to replace Diana which had been captured there on 28 March, Sachem developed serious leaks which forced her to return to New Orleans. After repairs had been completed, the ship returned to Berwick Bay; ascended the Atchafalaya River, bypassing Port Hudson, and joined Farragut in sealing off the mouth of the Red River and in patrolling the Mississippi above Fort Hudson. This blockade stopped the flow of food and supplies to the Southern riverbank forts at Vicksburg and Port Hudson.

When Porter daringly raced his gunboats down the Mississippi past the batteries at Vicksburg, Admiral Farragut decided to leave the river and turn his attention back to the blockade of the gulf coast. On the morning of 8 May, he left his flagship, Hartford, and embarked on Sachem for passage back down the Atchafalaya to Brashear City, La., where he boarded a train for New Orleans. Sachem then returned by the back route to the Mississippi between Vicksburg and Port Hudson where she served as a dispatch vessel carrying messages and supplies between Army and Navy units besieging those two Southern river strongholds.

Early in July, the fall of those fortresses opened the entire Mississippi to Union shipping and freed Sachem for duty in the Berwick Bay/Atchafalaya area which occupied the gunboat during the summer.

Early in September, Sachem was assigned to a joint Army-Navy expeditionary force mounted at New Orleans to attack Sabine Pass, Tex. Possession of this
port would close another important Confederate blockade running center and provide the Union with a base for a thrust into the interior of Texas. Sachem arrived off Sabine Pass on the evening of the 7th, followed Clifton across the bar and entered the harbor there the next day. That afternoon Sachem, followed by Arizona, advanced up the Louisiana Channel while Clifton and Granite City moved forward along the Texas shore. Sachem and Clifton opened fire on the Confederate batteries at Fort Mannahasset, but the Confederate guns remained silent until the Union gunboats were at close range. Then they countered with a devastating cannonade. A shot through her boiler totally disabled Sachem and another cut Clifton's wheel rope causing her to run aground under the Southern guns. Nevertheless, the damaged gunboats continued their struggle until heavy casualties forced Clifton to surrender. Arizona and Granite City' then began to withdraw, so Lt. Johnson, with no possibility of saving his ship, ordered her Parrott gun spiked; her magazine flooded; and her signal book and spy glass destroyed. He then had her flag hauled down and a white flag hoisted.

Confederate cotton clad steamer, Uncle Ben, then pulled up to Sachem and towed the gunboat to Sabine City. On 17 October, Sachem sailed for Orange, Tex. and operated under the Texas Marine Department supporting the Confederate Army. In March 1864 Sachem was back at Sabine Pass; and, in April, was said to be commanded by a noted blockade runner of Galveston John Davisson, was reportedly laden with cotton an] awaiting a chance to slip through the blockade. However, no further record of her career has been found.

USS Sachem II - History

USS Clifton , an 892-ton light-draft side-wheel gunboat, was built in 1861 at Brooklyn, New York, as a civilian ferryboat. She was purchased by the Navy in early December of that year and placed in commission after conversion for combat service. Clifton steamed from New York to the Gulf of Mexico in February-March 1862. In April she towed mortar schooners into the Mississippi River and supported them as they bombarded the Confederate fortifications below New Orleans. After the forts and city fell later in the month, she operated with Rear Admiral Farragut's squadron during its drive up the river to Vicksburg, Mississippi. There, on 28 June 1862 Clifton was damaged by enemy gunfire.

In October 1862, Clifton took part in the capture of Galveston, Texas. She helped seize Fort Burton, at Butte a la Rose, Louisiana, in April 1863. In mid-July, her crew assisted in capturing the sailing bark H. McGuin . Later in the month she fired on Confederate batteries on the Atchafalaya River, Louisiana. On 8 September 1863, during a Federal attack on Sabine Pass, Texas, Clifton grounded while under intense cannon fire and was captured.

Entering Confederate service with the Texas Marine Department, Clifton was employed as a gunboat for some months. On 21 March 1864, she ran aground off Sabine Pass while attempting to run the blockade. After attempts to refloat the ship failed, Clifton was burned by her crew to prevent capture by Federal warships.

This page features all the views we have related to USS Clifton .

If you want higher resolution reproductions than the digital images presented here, see: "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."

Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

Watercolor by Erik Heyl, 1962, painted for use in his book "Early American Steamers", Volume IV.
She was originally the civilian ferryboat Clifton , built in 1861. After she was captured on 8 September 1863, she became the Confederate gunboat and blockade runner Clifton and was destroyed on 21 March 1864.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 48KB 740 x 415 pixels

"Commodore Farragut's Squadron and Captain Porter's Mortar Fleet entering the Mississippi River"

Line engraving based on a sketch by an officer of USS Mississippi , published in "Harper's Weekly", 1862, depicting the scene at the Southwest Pass of the Mississippi, circa 7 April 1862.
Features identified in the engraving's title lines include (from left to right): Light-house on Southwest Pass USS Colorado (in left foreground) USS Pensacola on the bar USS Westfield (seen nearly stern-on) Porter's mortar fleet, heading up the river USS Mississippi on the bar USS Harriet Lane (side-wheel steamer at the rear of the mortar fleet) USS Connecticut (in right foreground) USS Clifton town of Banona.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 131KB 740 x 560 pixels

"Fire-raft Sent Down by the Rebels, April 17"

Line engraving published in "Harper's Weekly", 1862, depicting USS Clifton playing a fire hose on the Confederate fire raft, as it drifted past Union ships on the lower Mississippi River on 17 April 1862.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 67KB 740 x 270 pixels

"Engagement at Butte la Rose"

Line engraving after a sketch by H. Holtz, published in "Harper's Weekly", 1863, depicting the U.S. Navy gunboats Estrella , Calhoun , Arizona and Clifton (listed clockwise from lower right) engaging the Confederate gunboat J.A. Cotton off Butte a la Rose, Louisiana, on 20 April 1863. Confederate Fort Burton (shown at left) was captured on the same day.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 111KB 740 x 305 pixels

"The Disabling and Capture of the Federal Gunboats 'Sachem' and 'Clifton', in the Attack on Sabine Pass, Texas, September 8th, 1863."

Line engraving published in "The Soldier in our Civil War", Volume II. USS Clifton is shown to the left, aground and returning fire from the Confederate fortifications. USS Sachem is at the right.

The Ohio River ‘Ghost Ship’

About 20 miles or so down river from Cincinnati, in Petersburg, KY, sits what’s known as the “Ghost Ship”. Though there aren’t actually any ghost stories connected to it that that we’ve heard of, this rusted relic does have a lot of history behind it. Built in 1902 for Railroad exec. J.Rogers Maxwell, it was originally a yacht named The Celt.

When World War 1 began in 1914, the Navy started renting private boats that might be able to spot and out run enemy submarines. In July, 1917, the Navy got ahold of the Celt, renaming it the USS Sachem, and used it as a Coastal Patrol Yacht. They loaded it up depth charges and machine guns, and put her to work to defend us against enemy submarines. They also decided to use her for research and experiments into new ways to defend against submarines, and they enlisted none other than Thomas Edison to conduct those experiments. Edison did his work aboard the USS Sachem, mostly around the New York Harbor, until the war ended in 1918, when his funding also ended. The Sachem was returned to her current actual owner, Manton B. Metcalf, in February of 1919. It was later sold to a banker named Roland L. Taylor, and then to Jacob Martin of Brooklyn, New York in 1932, who converted it to a fishing boat.

It was reacquired by the Navy in February of 1942 for $65,000 and converted for naval service. It was commissioned as USS Phenakite in July of 1942. Her job this time was to patrol the waters off the Florida Keys during World War II. She was decommissioned to undergo modifications and placed back in service in November of 1944. She was used for testing sonar systems until she was put out of service in October of 1945, and transferred to the Maritime Commission for disposal in November of 1945.

The vessel was then returned to her previous owner, and renamed the Sachem in December of 1945. It was later resold, this time to become the flagship of the new Circle Line Sightseeing Cruises in New York City, where she was again renamed, this time to the Sighseer.

And later, it was again renamed, this time to the Circle Line V

In the early 1980’s, the boat was cut from the Circle line Fleet and left at an abandoned pier in New Jersey, where it sat until 1986

Abandoned Circle Line V. Photo from

In 1986, Cincinnati resident Robert Miller bought the Circle Line V for $7,500. Miller said it took him ten days to repair the boat and get her seaworthy again. One day while working on the ship, a representative of Madonna showed up, and asked him if they could use it in one of her videos. You can see her Briefly in Madonna’s video for Papa Don’t Preach. Seriously, blink and you’ll miss it, took me 4 tries to get this damn screen shot.

Eventually, Miller decided to bring the boat back to some land he owned in Petersburg, Kentucky. He sailed from New York City, through the Great Lakes, down the Mississippi River and onto the Ohio River. About 20 miles west of Cincinnati, he turned the boat down a creek into a small tributary of the Ohio on his property, and there I guess is where the story ends…she has sat there ever since.

It’s Pretty easy to get to, it shows up in a search on google maps.

As you can see from the pictures below, she’s rusted, stripped down, covered in dirt, and even has a few tress growing off of her. There’s an old rope ladder hanging off the side so you can climb up, but its still not exactly what I’d call safe. Both times we were there, it was or had been raining, which made it worse, as it turned the dirt covered deck into mud. There’s also some opening’s in the deck to watch out for.

If you decide to go looking for her, be courteous to the locals, and leave her how you found her.

A lot of this info came from the Queen City Discovery blog, they have a lot more detail there. If you want to check it out, click HERE.

USS Sachem and USS Phenakite

The USS Sachem and USS Phenakite is an abandoned yacht that was used by the United States Navy from 1917 to 1919 and again from 1942 to 1945. It was later used as a tour boat before becoming abandoned on a small creek just yards from the Ohio River in northern Kentucky.

The USS Phenakite was constructed in 1902 as the private yacht Celt by Pusey and Jones in Wilmington, Delaware for J. Rogers Maxwell, a railroad executive. 1 4 Rogers was an avid yachtsman who captured the King’s Cup with another yacht, the Queen, in 1907. 4 The Celt measured 169-feet and six-inches (oa) × 143-feet three-inches (bp) × 23-feet and six-inches × eight-feet, had a top speed of up to 13 knots and could hold up to 217 tons GRT. 2 It was launched on April 12. After some use, it was sold to Manton B. Metcalf of New York and renamed the Sachem. 1 4

The United States Navy acquired the Sachem on July 3, 1917, shortly after the nation entered World War I. 1 2 It was placed into service as the USS Sachem (SP 192) on August 19 and used as a coastal patrol yacht. During its service under the Navy, it was loaned to Thomas Edison who conducted government-funded anti-submarine warfare 3 and ocean communication experiments on it in the Caribbean. 4

The USS Sachem returned to Metcalf on February 10, 1919, after World War I concluded. 1 2 It then sold to Roland L. Taylor, a Philadelphia banker, who rechristened it Merchant Sachem. 2

During the height of the Great Depression in 1932, the Sachem was sold to Captain Jacob “Jake” Martin who converted it into a fishing boat. 4 Families would pool their money and pay a fee of about $2 to send a family member on the Sachem to catch large fish for food. The only significant improvement to the boat was the replacement of the original coal boiler with a diesel engine.

During World War II, the boat was reacquired by the United States Navy on February 17, 1942, 2 for $65,000 4 and converted into wartime service by Robert Jacobs Inc. of City Island in New York City. 1 It was commissioned as USS Phenakite (PYc-25) on July 1 at Thompkinsville, New York and patrolled the waters off the Florida Keys. It underwent modifications and placed back into service on November 17, 1944, where it was used to test various sonar systems before being put out of service on October 2, 1945, at Thompkinsville. It was then transferred to the Maritime Commission for disposal on November 5.

The boat was then returned to Martin and renamed Sachem on December 29, 1945. 1 It was struck from the Naval Register on February 7, 1946. It was then resold to the Circle Line of New York City and renamed Sightseer and then CircleLine Sightseer and Circle Line V. With a capacity of 500, it was Circle Line’s flagship vessel and was used as a tour boat until 1983.

The boat was purchased by Robert Miller of Finneytown, Ohio in 1986 who saw the ship in the Hudson River in West New York, New Jersey. 4 Miller offered the owner $7,500 for the old vessel. It took ten days to pull the boat from the muck it was trapped within and to complete repairs. For several months, Miller moved the ship around the region to avoid expensive docking fees.

During the moves, a music executive spotted the vessel and approached Miller, desiring to use the boat for background in Madonna’s Papa Don’t Preach music video. 4

Shortly before it left New York, Miller filled the Sachem with guests and docked at the Statue of Liberty during its rededication on July 4, 1986. 4 Afterwards, the boat was relocated to a plot of land Miller owned along Taylor Creek in Boone County, Kentucky via the Erie Canal, great lakes, Mississippi River and the Ohio River. Today, Miller has no controlling interest over the abandoned boat, and despite a fundraising effort towards the Sachem’s restoration, no work has been completed.

The Ghost Ship

The story of how a 175-foot ship wound up in a small creek in Boone County is as fascinating as the people who have sailed her.

According to The Sachem Project, the luxury New York steam yacht, christened the Celt in 1902 was used by businessman and yacht enthusiast John Rogers Maxwell. “…this vessel was the toast of the whole New York coastline for nearly a decade,” reads The Sachem Project.

When interest in yachting wained, the ship was sold in 1911 to be used as a private yacht and renamed the Sachem.

During World War I the Navy requisitioned her in 1917, renaming her USS Sachem SP 192, and converted her to war service. Thomas Edison—inventor of the first incandescent lightbulb and first electric car—used the ship for experiments to help the U.S. defend against German U-boats.

The history and photos of Edison’s time on the USS Sachem, as described by The Sachem Project, is fascinating. “While his relations with the U.S. Navy were tumultuous, he developed 48 to 50 projects, including the ‘collision mats,’ the ‘kite rudder’ … which had potential but none were ever put into production due to the lack of belief and preparedness of the administration.”

With the ending of World War I in 1918, the ship was returned to its owner. The Sachem was sold to a banker, and then later sold to Captain Jacob Martin in 1932 to be used as a party fishing ship: the “Largest, Fastest and Finest Deep Sea Fishing and Moonlight Sails” describes a post card. During the mid 1930s, Martin converted the ship’s engine and coal boilers from steam to diesel.

Shortly after the attack of Pearl Harbor in Hawaii, the Navy reacquired the ship in 1942 for use during World War II. She was heavily modified for naval service and rechristened the USS Phenakite.

Manhattan’s sightseeing cruise liner

After being decommissioned in 1944 and again in 1945, the ship was later sold to Circle Line Sightseeing Cruises of New York in 1946. The ship was altered heavily so more passengers could be accommodated on two decks. Named Sightseer, then later Circle Line Sightseer followed by Circle Line V, she was a beloved ship, most likely because of her past war history. After 31 years of service, she was retired from service in 1971.

William Bailey, New York, who spent three summers on her starting in 1969, was hired as a deck hand but quickly turned assistant engineer says, “She carried 490 passengers on two decks. We used to sail the 35-mile trip around Manhattan Island burning 70 gallons of fuel for the two-hour 40-minute trip … at 11 knots, or about 13 miles per hour.”

Bailey says, “Usually we made two sightseeing trips a day, sometimes three when it was busy. During the wintertime, she was laid up,” he says.

Bailey, who recalls every part of the Circle Line V (Sachem), went on to become chief engineer on the Circle Line XV for 35 years.

How the Sachem got to Kentucky

Around 1985, boat enthusiast Robert “Butch” Miller of Cincinnati purchased the rusting hull and managed to get her unearthed from the sludge, renaming her the Sachem.

One fun entertaining fact during this time was the Sachems bow debuted in the background of Madonna’s 1996 video for her song Papa Don’t Preach.

Miller tried unsuccessfully to repair the Sachem while she was docked in New Jersey according to The Sachem Project. Vandalized twice and equipment stolen, he decided it would be better to bring her closer to home.

After running aground during fog on his first attempt, then spending another year in New York, The Sachem Report explains that Miller navigated a new path going 2,600-miles in late 1987—“from the Hudson River, through the Erie Canal, the Great Lakes, then into Chicago, and down the Mississippi to the Ohio River” to bring her to his property in northern Kentucky in the winter of 1988 after 40 days sailing.

Miller is reported to have spent a large amount of money, and grit, trying to restore the Sachem. But, with her grounded in the mud once again, he simply did not have the finances to save her.

Bailey explains that the Sachem, which had been stripped and retrofitted for the Circle Line, “should still have parts of her original switchboard, which dates to 1902. … I know her layout pretty dang well.”

According to The Sachem Project, Miller died in 2016 and the ship is now owned by Miller’s son.

The Sachem Project was formed in 2015 with the hope to secure and restore the Sachem, then preserve the ship as a floating museum. As the website describes: the group’s members are ex-Circle Line crew, retired Navy, Maritime historians, relatives of ex-captains, locals and enthusiasts.

Long since moored, the Sachem, is now referred to as the “Ghost Ship” and sits on private property. The ship itself is also private property it is illegal to trespass in order to board the ship.

Union Casualties at the Battle of Sabine Pass

75th Regt. New York Volunteers
Pvt. Henry Raymond, Co. A
Pvt. Luther D. Hallock, Co. B
Pvt. George T. Beardsley, Co. B
Pvt. Dor E. Parker, Co. B
Pvt. James M. Benedict, Co. D
Pvt. William W. Miller, Co. G

12th Maine Infantry
Pvt. William E. Pray, Signal Corps

75th Regt. New York Volunteers
Pvt. Oscar A. Brown, Co. A
Pvt. Andrew G. Borden, Co. B
Pvt. Reuben O. Canfield, Co. B
Pvt. Franklin Olford, Co. B
Pvt. Richard Tucker, Co. B
Pvt. Andrus V. Brown, Co. G
Pvt. Ichabod Bump, Co. G

United States Navy
John Fraser, 2nd Asst. Engr.
John Monroe, 3rd Asst. Engr.
Henry Brown, Landsman
William Glenn, Landsman
Peter Lee, Landsman
William Robinson, Fireman
Thomas Ryan, Fireman
Thomas Sullivan, Fireman
Richar Turner, Fireman
Calvin Williams, Fireman
John Williams, Seaman

3rd Massachusetts Cavalry
Abraham E. Borden, Signal Corps
Andrew P. Coit, Signal Corps

161st Regt. New York Volunteers

Mahlon W. Barber, Co. D
Pvt. Abram Blakesly, Co. D
Pvt. Orville C. Booram, Co. D
Pvt. Gary Dodge, Co. D
Pvt. George T. Cannon, Co. D
Pvt. Patrick Hart, Co. D
Pvt. James M. Snyder, Co. D
Pvt. Adam H. Wilcox, Co. D

United States Navy
Isaac Carter, Landsman
John Chace, Landsman
Willis Green, Landsman
John Horton, Landsman
John Rolles, Landsman
William Wilson, Landsman

Twenty-five African-American men fought here on the behalf of the Union, but their names are unrecorded. Twenty-two fought on board the USS Clifton and three on the USS Sachem. All were missing and presumed dead. We hereby recall their lives and remember their deaths.

Topics. This memorial is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is September 8, 1863.

Location. 29° 43.952′ N, 93° 52.377′ W. Marker is in Sabine Pass, Texas, in Jefferson County. Marker is located within the Sabine Pass Battleground State Historic Site. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6100 Dick Dowling Road, Sabine Pass TX 77655, United States of America. Touch for directions.

Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Richard Dowling (a few steps from this marker) Site of Fort Griffin (a few steps from this marker) Commodore Leon Smith (within shouting distance of this marker) Paid Advertisement

Also see . . . Battle of Sabine Pass - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on June 15, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)

Cam Lee Named Suffolk County League II MVP

Cam Lee has been electric all season and one of the most versatile players on Long Island during this shortened spring campaign.

The Sachem North senior was named Suffolk County League II MVP in what should be the first of more hardware this season.

With two games left, Lee has nearly 600 rushing yards and 300 receiving yards, and also has two interceptions on defense. He has 10 total touchdowns.

Lee, a three-sport athlete and the favorite to win Sachem’s Van Norr Award as the top student-athlete in the school, is on pace to become Sachem’s first 1,000-1,000 yard player for career rushing and receiving yards as well.

He is the first Sachem player since Dalton Crossan in 2011 to earn League MVP honors.

Considering his star power, playmaking ability, leadership skills and academic track record, not only should Lee be a Hansen Award finalist, but he should draw consideration for the Cipp Award as the top running back in Suffolk County, the Cutinella Award as the top student-leader and the LaBue Award as the top scholar-athlete.

USS Sachem II - History

Please note: The audio information from the video is included in the text below.

The Attack on Pearl Harbor happened on December 7th, 1941. Japanese airplanes made a surprise attack on the US Navy in Pearl Harbor. They destroyed many ships and killed many soldiers. It was this attack that forced the United States to enter World War II.

Japanese fighter plane attacking
Source: US Navy

Where is Pearl Harbor?

Pearl Harbor is located in Hawaii on the island of O'ahu. Hawaii is located in the Pacific Ocean between California and Japan. During the time of World War II, Hawaii was not a state, but a US territory.

World War II had been raging in Europe and Asia for two years, but the United States had not entered the war. The Empire of Japan was trying to take over much of Asia and was worried about the US Navy in Hawaii. They decided to strike in order to prevent the United States from attacking them.

The Japanese thought that if they took out the war ships in Pearl Harbor, then the United States Navy would be crippled and would never attack. However, they were mistaken and the attack on Pearl Harbor had just the opposite result. The US declared war the next day.

The attack on Pearl Harbor came as a complete surprise. Hundreds of Japanese fighter planes and bombers flew to Pearl Harbor and attacked. The bombers dropped bombs and torpedoes on the war ships, while the fighter planes attacked the US fighter planes on the ground so they could not take off and fight back. There were two waves of attacks and by the end of the second wave a number of US ships were destroyed.

The USS Arizona sinking
Photo by Unknown

Here are the casualties from both sides during the attack. Although the Japanese inflicted considerable damage to the US Navy, they did not cripple it. They damaged many ships including warships, destroyers, and cruisers. They also destroyed a lot of the fighter planes and aircraft at the base. However, all of the US ships but three (the Arizona, the Utah, and the Oklahoma) were able to be recovered and were used later during the war.

The biggest US loss was the sinking of the USS Arizona. Over 1,100 US military personnel died when the Arizona sunk.

Town split on whether to keep ‘Sachems’ as mascot

The age-old debate surrounding the Saugus town mascot, the Sachem, is gaining steam again.

At least two online petitions have called for its removal. Selectmen Chairman Anthony Cogliano’s July 8 Facebook post drew more than 500 comments as of July 14.

Kevin Studley, a 2005 Saugus High School graduate, wrote a letter to the editor this month, writing, “We may have this idea that we are the Sachems, we are the Redskins, we are the Indians, we are the Fighting Sioux. But, in fact, we are not. Actually, very far from it. Most of us are descendants of a culture that sought to eliminate these very same people that are “celebrated” in mascots of sports teams.”

The chatter on social media and the actual media has sparked some reaction from town officials. Although nothing is planned formally via town or school channels or forums, officials like Cogliano have been vocal.

Saugus High School and other town sports teams and town literature has displayed the Sachem name and logo for decades.

“We want to hear what people have to say, and what’s why I put it out there,” Cogliano, who graduated from Saugus in 1984, said of his Facebook post. “Overwhelmingly people think the Sachem is a way to celebrate the past and people who were here before us. As a three-sport athlete here at Saugus, I love the Sachem. I still enjoy coaching the kids. To me, it’s all about tradition. Everything today is offensive, it seems. People are tearing down statues. The world is going crazy. I get that people want to make things better for the future, but it doesn’t make sense tearing down the past and erasing it.”

Thomas Whittredge, chairman of the Saugus School Committee, said the Sachem mascot is not on his radar. It has not been on a formal agenda recently nor is it planned for the future at this time.

“I’ve been spending a ton of time working with the committee and superintendent trying to find the best plan for getting our students back to school, while keeping them safe and healthy,” Whittredge said. “I’ve never viewed it as a mascot. It’s always been symbolic of strength, honor, respect and leadership. That’s what it’s always meant to me and many others who have generational roots in Saugus.”

Not Saugus' call to make

Not all feel that way, though.

Jenni Costa, a 2020 Saugus High School graduate and multi-sport athlete who played volleyball and ran track, signed one of the online petitions calling for removal of the mascot.

“Let’s not appropriate a culture that doesn’t belong to Saugus (a town with a population that is a white majority) when colonizers stole this land through force and kidnapped, raped, and killed off an entire population for,” Costa wrote on the online petition. “Don’t care if you’ve ‘lived in Saugus all your life,’ we weren’t the first to live here so be thankful that’s the only thing being taken from you.”

Costa, in a text message exchange with the Advertiser, said personally the Sachem mascot had never offended her or came across as offensive until she considered that the population of Saugus is over 80% white and the Indigenous population is so small that it's “not even stated on the demographics.”

According to the latest data from the United States Census Bureau, Saugus is 89.7% white and 0.5% American Indian.

“There is no Indigenous people here to even speak out against it, and it's not the place of a white person to say that the logo is not offensive,” Costa said. “… I've received a lot of hate for my opinion on this from adults and students which goes to show how close-minded people are of other opinions.”

Mascot names with Native American-related symbols and names have long been the subject of debate, most recently ignited by protests throughout the world calling for social justice and equal rights after a black man, George Floyd, was murdered by a white Minneapolis police officer May 25.

The professional football team, the Washington Redskins, announced on July 13 it was retiring the Redskins name and logo after a review.

And now Saugus is having the conversation again.

Current, former students start petition

The two online petitions – which have no start date but each have comments within the past week – have gained some signatures.

“Change the mascot in Saugus!” has 277 online signatures as of the afternoon of July 14.

And “Remove Saugus High School’s Indigenous Image” has garnered 372.

“The current mascot representing Saugus High School, MA is a red Native American head in a feathered headdress representing American Indigenous people,” according to one of the online petitions, started by Maeva Kembo, a Saugus High School sophomore-to-be. “Over the years, the faculty at Saugus High has declared this image as a symbol of leadership. In doing this, they are blatantly disrespecting Native American culture while condoning a racist mascot. It misinforms members of all communities about Indigenous culture which is extremely harmful.”

High School Principal Michael Hashem and Athletics Director Terri Pillsbury did not respond to an email from the Saugus Advertiser.

Another online petition was started by 2015 Saugus High School graduate Laura McManus.

Speaking of the Sachem mascot, McManus wrote, “It doesn’t honor Native Americans and is racist. Native Americans have brought mascots like the ‘Sachem’ to the attention of the public. We need change and this is the time to change our mascot. Everyone in this town is interested in keeping its history alive. I say we change our mascot to something that isn’t racist.”

Pivotal moment for education

Like Cogliano, not everyone wants a change, however. Most Saugonians when contacted by the Advertiser talked about tradition, pride and strength in the Sachem logo.

Tory Beauchamp, a 2016 Saugus High School graduate, told the Advertiser he is a descendent of the Abenaki tribe. He finds “great pride” in how Saugus has respectfully celebrated a native chief.

“Personally, I love the name Sachem, as it is the name of a native chief, many of whom made significant efforts in fighting against the European crown for unfair treatment of their own people,” Beauchamp said.

Montowampate, he pointed out, was the Sachem in the area of Saugus at the time of English settlement, and Mahomet Weyonomon was another Sachem who traveled to London and petitioned King George II for better treatment of his people after his expression that their land was being overrun by colonists.

“I feel as though Saugus’ representation of the Sachem is respectful and doesn’t perpetuate any negative stereotypes,” Beauchamp said. “However with that being said, I still believe we can always be better. There are actions we took part in as a student body in the name of spirit week that are not appropriate. We clad ourselves in feathers, headdresses and war paint. I understand that is very disrespectful to the men and woman who carried out those sacred activities. But I think we are in a pivotal moment where we can educate and transform how we view an celebrate the Sachem.”

Beauchamp said he understands the outrage and calls for removal of many derogatory depictions of Native Americans as mascots, such as the Washington Redskins, a name that “blatantly perpetuates a very racist stereotype.”

However, he fears the removal of a respected symbol will only further diminish an already forgotten history.

“With a new high school almost finished,” Beauchamp said, “I think this is a perfect time to decorate hallways with our history, and artifacts. I picture a Saugus High where people hear the name Sachem and think of the strong leaders of the past like Montowampate and Mahomet Weyonomon. I hope people who think differently understand that I want the same thing in the end. I believe people’s hearts are in the right place. But we can’t paint Saugus’s history with such a broad brush. I just think we can eliminate instances of cultural appropriation while simultaneously celebrating and educating future students of the rich history of this area, and I would for sure like to see more of that.”

Not racist in any way

Debra Panetta, a Saugus selectman, said she believes that the people of Saugus have treated the Sachem name, which is defined as a North American Indian chief, with respect and pride.

“The ‘Sachem’ was considered a ‘very wise’ leader,” Panetta said. “Schools should teach the students about the history of Saugus and what the Sachem mascot represents. Having a Sachem mascot represents and respects our rich Native American heritage in Saugus. I am proud to be a Saugus Sachem.”

Corinne Riley, also a selectman and a 1975 Saugus High School graduate, said she has always viewed the Sachem symbol as a warrior, a leader and a symbol of pride in our schools and in our town.

“I’ve always revered the Native Americans who were here before us and helped the new settlers,” Riley said. “The treatment of Native Americans by our government was unfair. I don’t think there is much question about that. That is what it is, and I don’t know what we can do about that now, but one good thing the town has done, in my opinion, is to honor the people that were here before us with the Sachem symbol. In my heart, I don’t see the Sachem symbol as racist in any way. I have spoken with people that are knowledgeable on the subject, and have learned that the headdress may not be from the Native Americans from the Northeast, but the homage I feel we pay to the people who were first here, does not get diminished from that alone.”

Saugus High School 2020 graduates Zack Falasca and Richie Mauro believe fully the Sachem name should stay.

Joseph Gratiano, 20, a Northeast Metro Tech 2018 graduate and lifelong Saugus resident, said “Sachems” were great leaders of their tribes.

“They led their tribes with respect, commitment and pride,” Gratiano said. “Anyone who calls themselves a ‘Saugus Sachem’ today, should do the same as well. Sports teams which are named the Sachems in this town reflect this same attitude. They are proud to be called the Sachems due to the history of the word and how superior it means and sounds.”

Selectman Jeff Cicolini, a 1990 Saugus High School graduate and fourth-generation Saugonian, said “Sachem Pride” identifies with strength, town pride and honoring the town’s history.

“The Sachem is not just a mascot within our Middle-High School, it is our town seal,” he said. “It is displayed on every town street sign in addition to appearing on our first responder’s uniform and youth sports uniforms. I do remain open-minded to understand the point of view of some that may see the Sachem differently. I think the history of the town has to be preserved. We should continue to educate and celebrate Saugus history.”

FinServ Acquisition News

* The remainder of this cover page shall be filled out for a reporting person's initial filing on this form with respect to the subject class of securities, and for any subsequent amendment containing information which would alter the disclosures provided in a prior cover page.

The information required in the remainder of this cover page shall not be deemed to be "filed" for the purpose of Section 18 of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 (the "Act") or otherwise subject to the liabilities of that section of the Act but shall be subject to all other provisions of the Act (however, see the Notes).


Sachem Head Capital Management LP
















Item 1(a). NAME OF ISSUER.
The name of the issuer is FinServ Acquisition Corp. (the "Issuer").

The Issuer's principal executive offices are located at c/o Ellenoff Grossman & Schole LLP,
1345 Avenue of the Americas, New York, New York 10105.


This statement is filed by:

(i) Sachem Head Capital Management LP, a Delaware limited partnership ("Sachem Head")
(ii) Uncas GP LLC, a Delaware limited liability company ("SH Management");
(iii) Sachem Head GP LLC, a Delaware limited liability company ("Sachem Head GP"); and
(iii) Scott D. Ferguson, a citizen of the United States of America ("Mr. Ferguson").

The foregoing persons are hereinafter sometimes collectively referred to as the "Reporting Persons."
Sachem Head serves as investment advisor to certain affiliated funds, including Sachem Head LP, a Delaware limited partnership ("SH") and Sachem Head Master LP, an exempted limited partnership organized under the laws of the Cayman Islands ("SHM"), and as such may be deemed to have the shared power to vote or direct the vote of (and the shared power to dispose or direct the disposition of) all of the shares of Common Stock (as defined in Item 2(d) below) held by SH and SHM.
SH Management serves as the sole general partner of Sachem Head, and as such may be deemed to have the shared power to vote or direct the vote of (and the shared power to dispose or direct the disposition of) all of the shares of Common Stock reported herein. Sachem Head GP serves as the general partner of certain affiliated funds, including SH and SHM, and as such may be deemed to have the shared power to vote or direct the vote of (and the shared power to dispose or direct the disposition of) all of the shares of Common Stock held by SH and SHM. Mr. Ferguson serves as the managing partner of Sachem Head and the managing member of SH Management and Sachem Head GP, and as such may be deemed to have the shared power to vote or direct the vote of (and the shared power to dispose or direct the disposition of) all of the shares of Common Stock reported herein.
The filing of this statement should not be construed as an admission that any of the Reporting Persons is, for the purposes of Section 13 of the Act, the beneficial owner of the Common Stock reported herein.


The address of the business office of each of the Reporting Persons is 250 West 55th Street, 34th Floor, New York, New York 10019.


Sachem Head is a Delaware limited partnership. Each of SH Management and Sachem Head GP is a Delaware limited liability company. Mr. Ferguson is a citizen of the United States.

Class A Common Stock, par value .0001 per share (the "Common Stock").

Item 2(e).
The CUSIP number for the Issuer’s Class A Common Stock is 318085107.


Employee benefit plan or endowment fund in accordance with

Parent holding company or control person in accordance with

Savings association as defined in Section 3(b) of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act (12 U.S.C. 1813)

Church plan that is excluded from the definition of an investment company under Section 3(c)(14) of the Investment Company Act (15 U.S.C. 80a-3)

If filing as a non-U.S. institution in accordance with Rule 13d-1(b)(1)(ii)(J), please

specify the type of institution:


The information required by Items 4(a) – (c) is set forth in Rows (5) – (11) of the cover page for each Reporting Person hereto and is incorporated herein by reference for each such Reporting Person. The percentages used herein are calculated based upon 25,665,000 shares of Common Stock outstanding (as reported in the Issuer's Annual Report on Form 10-K, filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on March 8, 2021).

If this statement is being filed to report the fact that as of the date hereof the reporting person has ceased to be the beneficial owner of more than five percent of the class of securities, check the following: [ ]

See Item 2.

Not applicable.

Not applicable.

Not applicable.


Each of the Reporting Persons hereby makes the following certification:
By signing below, each Reporting Person certifies that, to the best of his or its knowledge and belief, the securities referred to above were not acquired and are not held for the purpose of or with the effect of changing or influencing the control of the issuer of the securities and were not acquired and are not held in connection with or as a participant in any transaction having that purpose or effect.

After reasonable inquiry and to the best of our knowledge and belief, the undersigned certify that the information set forth in this statement is true, complete and correct.

Watch the video: USS Sachem. Kentucky Life.